Five

I was woken up to my daughter shaking me awake.

Natalie: momma, it's your pager.

I let out a tired groan as I sit up and grab my pager.

Savannah: shit! 911. I have to go. Go back to sleep, baby. I love you.

I kiss my daughter on the forehead, change into my scrubs then bolt to the hospital. When I got there, I was approached by Callie and Owen.

Owen: Collins, Torres, you're with me. We have a 15 year old female. She fell off the roof of her house. Now I think we should—

I noticed a panicked woman approach Owen.

Mrs. Boyd: she's gonna be okay, right? Please, I just need to know. Is she gonna be okay?

Owen: and this is her mother. Mrs. Boyd, I need to bring Dr. Torres and Dr. Collins up to speed right now, okay?

Mrs. Boyd: she's never been in an accident before. She's never even broken any bones.

I glare at Owen.

Savannah: dude!

Callie: that's why you paged us here at 4:00am for a couple of broken bones?

Savannah: not cool, man.

Owen: more like 50.

Owen opens the door and when I walk in, I see the 15 year old girl on the table, with bruised legs and a couple of bones sticking out.

Savannah: holy sweet mother Mary. I am awake now.

We give the girl enough drugs to put her to sleep then we wheel her to the OR.

-time skip-

I walk down the halls with my coffees in hand. I find Arizona and Callie walking, so I catch up to them.

Savannah: hey.

Callie: hey! How much coffee have you had since you got here?

Savannah: I finished my third about 10 minutes ago, and I'm little under half way done my fourth.

I start chugging my coffee as Owen approaches the three of us.

Owen: okay, when you see Cristina, she is gonna be mad. She's gonna be mad at me for not paying her in here last night, possibly mad at you for not waking her up either. Now I am handling this. Do not engage her. Do not provoke her. Simply ignore her, alright?

Savannah: ignore the scalpel-hungry animal? Yeah, great plan.

Owen: it's my only plan until I come up with something better.

Owen nods at Cristina who walks past us without a word. I chug the last little bit of my fourth coffee and throw it in the trash before I walk next to Jackson.

Savannah: hey.

Jackson: there you are. For you.

I smile as Jackson hands me a fresh cup of coffee.

Savannah: I love how much you love me.

Jackson chuckles at me as he wraps his arm around my waist while I sip my coffee.

Charles: how many cups of coffee have you had?

Savannah: Jacks just gave me my fifth.

Charles: you have a problem.

Savannah: no shame, Charlie.

Jackson chuckles at me as Arizona starts.

Arizona: okay, I know this is the first time in a Peds rotation with me for some of you. Not for others. But I wanted you to understand that I run my Peds unit a little differently than you may be used to. This is not general surgery in miniature. These are the tiny humans. These are children. They believe in magic. They play pretend. There is fairy dust in their IV bags. They hope and they cross their fingers and they make wishes. And that makes them more resilient than adults. They recover faster, survive worse. They believe. In Peds, we have... miracles and magic. In Peds, anything is possible.