129

I walk into the elevator, and I smile when I see Meredith with Ellis, Zola and Bailey, Amelia, and Maggie.

Savannah: hello!

Meredith: hey!

Savannah: Cathy, say hi to your aunties and your friends.

Cathy: hi!

Meredith: hello, miss Cathy.

Amy: how's the little bean?

Savannah: very active.

The girls chuckle at me.

Meredith: you guys know the gender yet?

Savannah: not yet. Soon, though.

Maggie: you have names picked out?

Savannah: Jackson and I have really thought about the names. We want our child to have a name we can be proud of.

Amy: that's sweet.

We walk out of the elevator and take our kids to the daycare.

-later-

I was paged to the ER for an incoming trauma. I walk in with Owen and meet with Alex.

Savannah: Karev, let's move.

Owen: we have an incoming GSW. Victim's 8 years old.

Peter's mom: oh my god!

Brandon's mom: our sons are both 8 years old. Which one is it? Which one of our sons has been shot?

Owen: ma'am, we'll know more soon. But right now—

Alex: right now, we just need you to have a seat, and we'll get back to you when we know something.

I tie up my trauma gown as I run out to the ambulance bay with the boys. We were soon joined by Amelia, Wilson, Riggs, Pierce, Webber, Bailey, Blake, April, Jackson and Jeremy.

Alex: guys, I appreciate that you want to help, but all I need right now are Hunt, Collins, Wilson, anr maybe cardio and neuro. So, the rest of you can go.

We anxiously wait as the ambulance and a police car pull into the ambulance bay. As the vehicles pull up, the moms rush out.

Brandon's mom: no, we have to see who it is!

Owen: ma'am, ma'am, please stay back.

I run up to the ambulance as they wheel the patient out.

Paramedic: 8 year old male, GSW to the abdomen. Stable after 500 cc bolus NS.

As we assess the boy, I hear one of the mothers cry.

Brandon's mom: no! No, it's Brandon! It's Brandon!

Peter's mom: Peter! Peter, there you are.

We start wheeling Brandon into the ER and into a trauma room.

Alex: ET tube in good position.

Owen: breath sounds clear and equal bilaterally.

April: well, does anyone know what happened?

Nathan: was it a drive by?

Maggie: where the hell was the babysitter?

Bailey: hey, everybody, shush!

Savannah: a GSW to the right upper quadrant. Belly is soft. We're gonna need a...

I let out a shaky breath.

Webber: an ultrasound.

Savannah: mhmm.

Webber: you know– you know, let me get in there. I'll– I'll– I'll do it.