Forty Seven

I walk into my office to do some paperwork, and my heart melts when I see flowers on my desk. I reach for the card and read it.

Happy Valentine's Day, cutie. Thank you for giving my life meaning. Stay gorgeous. Can't wait to cook you dinner tonight :) love you, my precious star.

-J xoxo

I felt myself blushing as a smile grows on my face.

Savannah: love you, Avery.

I continue to smile as I start my paperwork.

-later-

I make it to the ER, and I see Jackson with Alex and April.

April: we're gonna get a zillion valen-traumas. I bet a few of them will be good surgeries for our boards.

Savannah: hell yeah, they will.

Jackson smiles at me then kisses my cheek.

Alex: well, it's not St. Patty's Day. Those are good traumas– car crashes, bar brawls.

Savannah: that's true.

Alex: yeah, Valentine's Day is all swallowed engagement rings and guys who threw out their backs getting laid.

April: you're just bitter 'cause you don't have a date.

Alex: first of all, Valentine's Day isn't for having a date with some chick. No, it's for macking the chicks who don't have dates. Besides, I have to study for my boards.

Jackson: you studying already?

April: of course. You're not?

Jackson: no, I am.

Savannah: I haven't seen him study at all. Which is why I'm going to be helping him. Because I'm a kind and generous person.

Jackson: of course you are, gorgeous.

I chuckle as Jackson kisses my forehead.

Savannah: thank you for the flowers, by the way. I love them.

Jackson: had to pick the ones that matches your beauty. Then again, that's pretty hard to beat.

I start blushing as Owen approaches, causing me to tense up. I've been feeling a bit awkward around Owen lately. With the whole Teddy issue, then the Cristina issue, it's been weird.

Owen: who put up all this?

April: I did. Well, research shows that a cheerful environment reduces stress and helps patients to feel more—

Owen grabs a teddy bear and crushes it before throwing it on the ground and walks off.

Savannah: Valentine grinch.

Jackson chuckles at me.

Jackson: you're adorable.

Savannah: I know.

-later-

I'm walking into the ER, and I see a car crash through the ambulance entrance. Everyone starts yelling and screaming as I run through.

Savannah: everybody, calm down.

I run over to the car with Owen. When we get to the car, we start looking over the driver.

Owen: airway seems fine, but he's got some JVD.

Cristina: he's tachycardic with muffled heart sounds.

Driver: what happened?

Savannah: sir, you're at Seattle Grace Mercy West hospital. Your van crashed.

Owen: no one was hurt, but we need to get you examined. Come on.