Fifteen

I walk into the skills lab and sit in front of Jackson who was sitting on top of a table. Bailey had called a meeting with all the residents.

Jackson: you okay?

Savannah: Natalie has a stomach bug, I was up with her all night. Poor thing was puking until 4 in the morning.

Jackson: poor Nat.

Reed: I'll come over with some soup.

Savannah: she'd appreciate that. Thanks, Reed.

Jackson wraps his arms around me and pulls me into his chest as Bailey talks.

Bailey: reaction, observation, communication– any questions so far?

Almost all of the residents shoot their hands up.

Bailey: we are doing this because Chief Shepherd suggests we brush up on our patient sensitivity skills, that's why. And it just so happens, this morning was a very good time, besides, half of you were raised by wolves. Reaction. "Keep your face impassive. Whether prompted by a patient's appearance or lab results, facial expressions of surprise, concern, disgust, et cetera, can be counterproductive.".

I started getting bored, so I grab Jackson's hand and start playing with the ring on his finger.

Back in college for his birthday, I got us matching friendship rings with our initials on them. He never lets a day go by without wearing it. After we started working at Mercy West, he started wearing a chain around his neck so he could throw it on the chain when he would go into surgery.

Bailey: jokes. Don't make jokes about patients, not in front of them, not even in private.

Cristina: well...

Bailey: Yang?

Cristina: what if the joke is really funny?

Most of the residents laugh.

Bailey: it's not. Neither was that one. Moving on. Observation. Yeah.

Then, Bailey's pager goes off.

Bailey: ah. Okay. "Use reflective listening, repeat the patient's feelings back to them. 'I hear that you're concerned about the surgery. Let me explain the risks.'.

Alex: I can see you like vegetables. After surgery, you might become one.".

I roll my eyes at Alex while all the other residents laugh

Bailey: communication. Uh, "don't use jargon. Use language that the patient can understand. Be creative in using metaphors.".

Charles: oh, I'm terrible with metaphors. I can never come up with 'em.

Cristina: why, 'cause you're dumb as a box of hammers?

I roll my eyes at Cristina.

Charles: you see, that's a good one. You're an ass, but that was a good one.

Savannah: that's actually a simile, Charles.

Bailey: "be clear and comprehensive. Explain all risks and all probable outcomes, leaving nothing out.". Question– Adamson?

Reed: why are you going so fast?

Bailey: it just so happens that we have an emergent patient arriving who will need a little extra sensitivity. So remember to employ your ROC, and you will... rock your patient's world.

I cringe at Bailey's really bad joke, while everyone else groans and laughs.

Bailey: okay, that's enough of that. Follow me to the pit.