Eighty One

I'm walking around the halls with Jackson talking about Cathy's costume.

Savannah: I can't wait to see her in her costume! I haven't been this excited for Halloween since Natalie was a little girl.

Jackson: I miss those days. Now, look at her. She's in college studying to be a surgeon like us.

Savannah: way to make me feel old.

Jackson: trust me, you are ageless, my love.

Savannah: relax, Jackson. You don't have to charm me. You're already getting lucky tonight.

Jackson: am I not allowed to admire my beautiful fiancé without the promise of sex?

Savannah: you can't avoid sex with me. I'm a goddess.

Jackson chuckles at me as we walk into Webber's room to see all the residents and Bailey gathered around his bed.

Savannah: hello, hello. I need a report for my dearest mother so she doesn't fly back here.

Bailey: he's letting one of them do his surgery.

I look over at Webber in shock.

Savannah: please tell me I heard her wrong. Have you lost your mind?!

Webber: they can do it.

Savannah: why isn't Bailey doing it?

Webber: she can supervise. They know this procedure inside out. They're ready.

Savannah: uh, I beg to differ. They can't even run the ER up to my standard.

Bailey: that's exactly what I said!

Webber: how do you do a transgastric approach?

Ross: anterior gastrotomy for access and cystogastrostomy creation through the posterior wall.

Webber: what about the posterior approach?

Wilson: that is a single gastrotomy in continuity with the pseudocyst.

Webber: very nice, and which is the easiest approach?

Ben: it'd have to be the intraluminal approach.

I turn around and smile when I see Ben by the door.

Ben: unless you're a fan of inoperative bleeding, in which case, do what you like.

Bailey: I thought I wasn't seeing you until the weekend.

I let Bailey and Ben have their moment.

Savannah: well, there's no way in hell I'm letting you do it, Edwards. Jeremy told me you walked into a wall this morning. Dr. Bailey will watch you all in the ER today, and she will decide who will do the procedure. Good luck explaining this to my mother, Webber, 'cause I'm sure as hell not telling her and risking my good relationship with her. Come on, J.

Jackson and I walk out of the room.

-later-

Jackson and I ended up getting paged to the pit for a case.

Paramedic: Victor Brown– 30 year old male mauling victim. Vitals are stable.

Savannah: let's get him to trauma. What mauled him?

Victor: he– he tackled me. He came out of nowhere.

Jackson: wait. Who is "he"?

Victor: the guy– he was snarling and growling.

Savannah: oh my god. A person did this to you?

Victor: he started eating my face like some sort of...