Twenty Four

Today is trauma certification day, and I'm kind of excited. This is a huge learning opportunity.

I walk into the skills lab and sit next to Jackson.

Jackson: someone's in a good mood.

Savannah: I'm kind of excited for trauma cert day.

Meredith walks into the room as Jackson pulls me into his chest.

Meredith: am I early? I tried really hard not to be.

Savannah: this is something we need. Come on. Get psyched.

Alex: we did the same thing with Bailey when we were interns. Take turns treating a dummy, get an early lunch, then get back to work. It's lame.

Then, Owen bursts into the room and placed trauma gowns onto the table.

Owen: charter plane was forced into an emergency landing and collided with a Greyhound bus. Mass-casualty situation. Do I need to say it again? Let's move.

We all grab a trauma gown as we run out of the skills lab and follow Owen.

Owen: close to 30 victims in the field, some critical. Multiple blunt force trauma injuries.

We all run outside, and we see dummies spread out on the ground.

Jackson: and I was so looking forward to an early lunch.

I throw my hair into a bun.

Owen: welcome to trauma certification. You will work in teams of five. Each team will be responsible for nine casualties. Each team will be responsible for nine casualties. You may treat your patients using only what you can carry with your two hands from this ambulance. The evac helicopter is on its way. You get your patient on the helicopter, you get certified. Are you ready?

I was on the blue team with Jackson, April, Meredith and Alex. I was excited.

Owen: get to work.

Everyone runs forward and starts grabbing things from the ambulance. I managed to get to the front and I start grabbing what I needed.

-later-

I read off the card of the dummy.

Savannah: according to this card, this guy's got a blown right pupil, an atlantooccipital dislocation, open-book pelvis, a large open abdominal wound, a sucking chest wound with seven broken bones. Sweet mother Mary, this guy is all messed up. Or he's dead. So moving on.

I move on to the next dummy next to Jackson.

Savannah: I'm gonna miss Callie. I like working with her in Ortho.

Jackson: you want to do Ortho?

Savannah: not really, I just like working alongside her.

I hear Owen call out to Meredith, and he dismisses her from the certification to go after Cristina.

Owen: blue team, status report.

April: we arrived on the scene to find nine casualties. We identified three as priority one, requiring immediate evacuation. Four were priority two, allowing for delayed evac. One was priority three, and the last was sadly... dead on the scene.

Owen: nice work, Kepner. But it seems to me that you now have two dead patients.

I look at Owen confused.

April: excuse me?

Owen: well, while you were standing around waiting for the helicopter to arrive and not keeping a constant eye on your patient's injury, this one developed a femoral bleed, bled out and is now sadly dead.