Options

Before leaving the house David stopped and decided to transfer my food into a to-go plate for me to eat in the car. I went to protest against it, but I ended up with a short version of speech that included, "I need you to have energy just in case you need to use your magic."

So as we drove I picked around at my bowl of breakfast.

"So how did you meet this witch?" I asked as he turned heading for the highway.

"She was a friend of Zayn's." he says, narrowing his eyes as he says, "She's good people."

A moment of silence passed before I ask, "Does she know?"

He nods, with his right hand on the steering wheel and his left hanging out the window he raises his left and runs his hand through his hair as he says, "I called her, before I had my drinking episode."

Turning to him I say, "I know this is pretty stupid to ask, but how are you holding up?"

Turning he glances in my direction before looking back at the road. His brow narrowed in as if he was searching for the best response. Opening his mouth he says, "There are days that I'm good, and there are days were I want nothing more then to call him and rant about the stupidest shit ever." a sad smile crept on his lips as he says, "So instead of me drinking I go outside and kind of just sit under the stars and talk to him." he laughs softly, "Corny I know."

"Its not corny. I've done it, when I thought Robert was dead."

He nods as he says, "It's peaceful. I know that he isn't here, physically but spiritually I can still sense him."

I nodded, because I understood him. 

We sat in silence for a while I closed up my Tupperware and put it in a bag in the backseat. Turning on the music in the car I watched as David immediately began to sing along to Nirvana 'Come As You Are' and I could help but to laugh.

We arrived 20 minutes later in front of an apartment building. Stepping out the car I folded my arms over my chest as I shivered from the cold air.

"I should've brought a better sweater." I mumbled.

"Luckily I keep extras in the car." says David as he walks around from the trunk, handing me a cream colored hoodie.

Taking it I pulled it over my head as I cupped the sleeves over my hands, "You are a blessing."

Smiling he says, "Flattery will defiantly get you everything in life." motioning towards the apartment building he says, "Come on she's on the 4th floor."

Nodding I followed David as he walked to the building. The apartment complex was 6 flights high and looked like there was over 200 units, if not more, around. The building was gated, and as soon as we reached the front gate, David punched in a 5 digit code on the call box. Seconds later the gate buzzed as he reach for it and pulled it open. 

Walking inside I noticed that the building reminded me of a hotel. There was a pool and I spotted a gym next to were we got on the elevator at. 

"An apartment building?" I asked, once the elevator closed.

"Not all witches live in lavish houses in the middle of the woods. Some like to be civil and around other humans." he explained as the elevator stopped on the 4th floor. 

Stepping out I waited to follow him as we stopped at a door number 413. Standing by the rail I looked over and down at where the pool was as David knocks. The air picked up around as, making me shiver as I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. The sound of the door unlocking caught my attention as I looked over to the door and my eyes widen.