Think: Chapter Fifty-Seven: Endeavor's Proposition

My Hero Academia Fan Fiction by Agent ARK 88

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Endeavor's Proposition

You wished so badly to wake up from this nightmare. You had wanted to talk to Shoto, before you'd left campus, but now you had to face him right in front of his father. Shock was written all over Shoto's expression, and you were certain your own expression reflected his own. You should have known that this would happen. If you were formally signed on to Endeavor Agency without a hitch, it would have been abnormal. Standing in Endeavor's office now, felt like the world was collapsing in on itself.

"I despise tardiness," Endeavor said in response to your silence. He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Regardless, Shoto, you are dismissed."

Shoto winced out of his trance, confusion growing into fear. "What's she doing here?"

Endeavor looked pleased that his son asked, the curve of a smirk barely visible at the edge of his lips. "Whatever do you mean, Shoto? 'She' is here to become one of my new work-study students, something you cannot be as you failed your Provisional Hero License Exam. Not everyone is so resistant to progress."

"Anna?" Shoto pleaded for an answer to what you were actually doing there, his gaze meeting yours.

"I didn't know..." you squeaked out in a whisper, gulping down the rest of your response when Endeavor's glare was on you again. You really didn't know Shoto would be there. You really didn't want this to unfold like this.

It made you feel horrible to know only a piece of what Shoto had gone through in his childhood because of Endeavor, and to now be going to his father for a work-study program without mentioning it first to Shoto felt criminal. You tried to remind yourself that Endeavor wasn't the person you were working with, but in that moment, it didn't seem to matter. The hurt on Shoto's face made you want to walk out. Your dream to become a Pro Hero, your hopes to have more control over your quirk, kept your feet planted firmly in place.

"I'm sorry," you said, guilt bowing your head further and further down.

"Did I not tell you, Shoto? If you would not take matters into consideration properly, I would handle them myself?" Endeavor folded his hands over his desk. "It appeared as if you followed my original directions, but considering what you've told me today, this girl is still far more important than your future, and you've blatantly disobeyed my orders yet again."

"I told you I've done what you've asked of me," Shoto's voice deepened. "Leave her out of this. I've distanced myself."

"Clearly not enough. You said yourself that you are refusing to use your fire side once again. Is that not because of her? Oh, you thought that I missed that little slip of your tongue during our earlier argument? It was so obvious that you'd done something to upset her that you felt would warrant such misbehavior once again."

"This is unethical," Shoto said.

"On the contrary, this is the most ethical thing I've done for your future. Bringing in Miss Kokoro, training her under my agency, this will allow you two to do as you please with each other. In fact, I would now encourage it."

"What?" Shoto asked, eyes widening.

"I've given it a lot more thought, and a relationship between the two of you has become a lot more acceptable. It does not matter what name she had, as it would change should the two of you be married. With your quirks combined, your offspring would be unstoppable, surpassing both of us at a far younger age. The Todoroki name could not possibly be slandered if she becomes someone under me as well."

You couldn't believe what Endeavor was saying. All of this wasn't about you making his agency stronger. It was about manipulating you to manipulate Shoto. Did he really think that the two of you would just go along with this? That by revealing his true intentions that Shoto would pursue a relationship with you? His son wasn't something to control.