Think: Chapter Seventy-Three: Emoticon's Villain Evaluation (E.V.E.)

My Hero Academia Fan Fiction by Agent ARK 88

Warnings: This work contains blood and mild language.

Chapter Seventy-Three: Emoticon's Villain Evaluation (E.V.E.)

You let the mysterious caller go to voicemail. Everyone was going to bed shortly after it anyway, and the last thing you needed to do was stay up past curfew and be chewed out by Aizawa. You shut your notebook, saying goodnight to Ochaco on your way back to your dorm room. You closed the door to your behind you, and the strange ringtone went off again. You pulled your cellphone from your pocket, and the caller ID had changed to, "Pick Up." Your finger hovered over the green button to answer, but you hesitated. In exchange for how clunky the device was, strange callers shouldn't have been able to get through, but you knew Kobura well enough that it wouldn't stop him from trying.

You thought better of answering the phone. You shut it down, and the screen went black. You tossed the large device onto your comforter, proceeding to get ready for bed. You placed the notebook with a small amount of recipes into your drawer. You went to the bathroom to wash your face. Just as you were toweling off, you heard the mysterious ringtone sound for the third time, and you froze in place.

With a trembling hand, you pushed the bathroom door open, staring in awestruck horror at the powered-on phone buzzing away on your bed. There was no denying that you had turned it off. You cautiously walked back into your dorm room. You peered down at the face-up phone, demanding you to "Answer it" on the caller ID. You lifted the phone in your hands, answering it despite your better judgement. You didn't speak.

"Please don't hang up," Kobura said on the other end of the line.

You paused, fingers clenching around the device. "Why shouldn't I?" you asked. You were tired, sick and tired. Was there anything that he couldn't hack? At this point, you'd have to live a life off the grid to keep away from him. "Just speaking to you warrants me taking this to the teachers again. I probably won't be issued another phone either."

"I just..." Kobura trailed off. "Honestly, I'm not sure what I expected. I didn't think you'd even pick up."

"I'm hanging up the phone. Thanks to you I'll be communicating through letters and pigeons."

"Don't! Please don't," he said. "I called to tell you that I could hack into this phone too."

"Congratulations," you said, exhaustion tugging on your muscles.

"Listen, if you just be careful, don't post things on social media, don't tell anyone where you're going through text, I can't track you. If I wanted to, I could break into the location system, but I promise that I won't. It would alert the school that your phone was hacked, and they'd just confiscate it again. I also promise I won't send you anymore threatening or fake text messages. I learned from my mistakes. I don't want to make you uncomfortable, nor do I want you to distrust who is speaking to you."

"Why should I trust you?" you asked.

"Because I love you, Sweet Anna," he replied without hesitation. "I wouldn't fool you like that. If you don't have a phone, there's no way for me to communicate with you either."

You winced. "You shouldn't be communicating with me right now," you argued.

"I know," he said. "I know," he repeated. "I..." He sighed. "I miss you, and I was worried. I knew you'd been discharged from the hospital, but the damage was pretty severe. I hated having to leave you injured. That bastard, Overhaul, got what was coming to him though. He lost both of his arms for what he did to The League and for what he did to that girl. I thought you should know as much, and..." he trailed off again. Something loudly hit wood in the background. "I needed to know you were doing okay. I needed to hear your voice."