Think: Chapter Sixty-Three: Discarding Toxic Reminders

My Hero Academia Fan Fiction by Agent ARK 88

Warnings: This work contains mild language and violence.

Chapter Sixty-Three: Discarding Toxic Reminders

Bakugo walked you back to your room, despite being soaked to the bone. True to his word, he didn't even ask for his sweatshirt back. You'd wash it for him and return it any way. It was nice of him to let you borrow it at all, considering your poor planning. You were still reeling over how much fun you had at the park with him. Not even the rain would wash the tingling feeling you'd gotten just thinking about the day you had. It might not have felt like much to anyone else, but being able to spend time with someone outside of hero work was something you needed. It distracted you from the chaos that had been affecting you so recently.

You changed into clean clothes, rummaging through your drawers for a new hair-tie. You froze, seeing the black velvet box in front of you. No matter how hard you tried to avoid Kobura, he found a way to slip back into your life. Your fingers went up to the new diamond earrings that Bakugo had bought you. If he only knew the emerald earrings had actually been from Kobura and not Midoriya, he might have acted differently. If you were being honest with yourself, if Bakugo found out Kobura had given you any gift, he would have personally requested he blown it up himself.

You removed your new earrings, placing them carefully in the drawer, while slamming the emerald earring box on your vanity. Frustration boiled under your skin. Kobura could have chosen to pursue anyone, but he'd chosen you. You'd need to get stronger. The next time you encountered him, you wouldn't let him get away. You couldn't let him get away. As long as Kobura was out there, you could never truly feel like you were safe, like eyes weren't watching your every move.

Night was creeping in. You'd have to dispose of the earrings in the morning. You needed to get rid of them for your own sake. You calmed your breathing, covering the velvet box with a nearby journal.

You passed out as soon as your head hit the pillow. Between the excitement of the day and the anxiety rearing up its ugly head from remembering Kobura's cold words, you couldn't keep your eyes open.

You stood in front of an alleyway, a pit deep in your stomach. A small girl with red eyes and a small horn on the side of her head looked fearfully at you. But, you could tell she wasn't afraid of you, she was afraid of something else, something you couldn't see. She rushed toward you, eyes wet with tears, long white ringlets of hair floating with her. Your eyes lingered on her outstretched arms, just before she managed to wrap them around your neck. Her arms were bandaged heavily, unnaturally. What had someone done to her that she would need so many bandages?

Eri? A man stepped from the alleyway's shadows. He had dark brown hair, and his golden eyes narrowed like a predator ready to pounce. The most distinct aspect of his attire was his plague doctor mask. He continued to speak, but you were no longer listening. Your mind blinked in and out of the connection. A name surfaced on your tongue, but you weren't allowed to utter it. Kai Chisaki.

You tightened your hold around the small child's trembling body. You suddenly felt conflicted, like you knew something that you shouldn't about this child. You weren't supposed to be helping. You weren't supposed to help her. You wanted to keep her safe. You didn't care what you'd been told. This child was begging for you to be a hero.

Kai Chisaki reached a hand toward the girl, and you pulled her back. He was clearly unamused. The connection blinked again. Mirio had grabbed you by the shoulder. He was saying something to you. His expression was stern. You wanted to scream at him. You wanted to tell him you had to help Eri. You couldn't let her go with that man. You knew this was bad. Before you could argue, the girl had left you, rushing to follow the man. It tore your heart in two to watch her go. You reached out a white-gloved hand, chest tightening with anxiety.