Think: Chapter Ninety-One: Newfound Power

My Hero Academia Fan Fiction by Agent ARK 88

Warnings: This work contains mild language and violence.

Chapter Ninety-One: Newfound Power

You watched Deku take down another robot with the newest manifestation of his quirk that he called Blackwhip. You fidgeted uncomfortably at the corner of the U.A. battlefield. All Might, or rather the husk of his former self, was helping all of you practice the new moves you'd learned at your work studies. Well, everyone except you. Due to the fact you'd been forced to hide your powers and into a "normal" school, you'd fallen behind again.

Hagakure had discovered a way to bend light, including manifesting lasers. Aoyama had gotten a new laser sword. Mina had even discovered how to better use her acid in an ultimate move, dousing herself in her quirk through the process.

You winced as a few distorted thoughts flashed through your head from your classmates. You tried to ignore what you heard. Your control of your telepathy was still slipping ever since you'd busted that Counting Sheep arms dealing ring with Heart of Hearts. Your malfunctioning quirk was yet another disheartening development on your plate of failures.

You bit nervously at your thumb, watching as more of your classmates took down the training robots with ease. You weren't even sure you wanted to practice, in fear that you'd grown so rusty that a mind blast would go rogue.

All Might's hollow eyes watched you, and it took you a moment to catch him looking at you. You flipped your hood over your head in an attempt to avoid the attention. There were only three months before you were a year two in the hero course. You'd come into the course late. You missed a pivotal amount of training with Heart of Hearts over the winter. It was over for you. At this rate, you'd never be able to catch up. You wouldn't be surprised if Aizawa suggested you be held back or, worse, be thrown into general studies.

"Young Think?" All Might asked. "Are you doing okay? I noticed that you haven't participated in the lesson yet."

You glanced up at him. "I'm not sure that I should," you said softly. You watched Bakugo tear through a robot with a single explosion.

"Why not?" he asked.

"I don't have anything new to show," you said. "I-I'm behind."

"This training isn't strictly for showing off newfound powers. Your classmates are certainly excited to share what they've learned at their work studies, but it's still training. You shouldn't feel behind, Young Think. We all move at our own pace," All Might said.

"Did it come naturally to you? Using your quirk?" you asked.

All Might stood closer to you. "No, it did not," he said. All Might sighed as if reminiscing about a distant memory. "My quirk came in much later in life, and it was a rather large adjustment to be certain." He cracked a smile, rubbing his neck in embarrassment. "I had to work really hard so my body could handle the amount of power I had started to develop. Even though I was in pretty good shape to begin with, I didn't know exactly how much strength I needed for my erratically developing quirk to be properly maintained. Sure, at the beginning, I thought it was just enough to believe I could be a symbol of peace, but as I started understanding my quirk better, I realized I'd always have to work even harder to keep up with it."

You blinked at him. It sounded a lot like your quirk. He must have discovered more and more about what he could do, the more he trained. You remembered how All Might had changed so recently, how he had to retire due to the damage he'd taken from All for One. What if your quirk was going through that? What if you overused your power, and it disappeared forever?