Think: Chapter Eighty-Five: Kobura's Sacrifice

My Hero Academia Fan Fiction by Agent ARK 88

Warnings: This work contains mild language, violence, and blood.

Chapter Eighty-Five: Kobura's Sacrifice

You had a weird lunch with Kobura that evening on the school roof. Your heart thundered in your chest after the intimate interaction. All he had done was nuzzle his face against yours, and it had your heart doing somersaults. He had apologized to you, rightfully so, but it didn't make you feel any better. Even if he had a hand in you being forced to go to this school, it was ultimately you, or really your parents, that had gotten you sent here, not him.

You wondered if Kobura had something he needed to do with The League of Villains. Should you have stopped him from leaving then? Was it your responsibility to stop him anymore? Technically, you still had a provisional hero license. It was never taken from you. You should act in a critical time of danger. Were you really in danger when Kobura was with you? The immediate answer that came to mind was "no."

Something felt wrong. You couldn't place your finger on it. You were restless the remainder of the day. Kobura having left shouldn't have provoked such a gutturally uneasy response. He'd be back like he always was, cocky grin in place tomorrow. Still, it didn't sit well that he wouldn't be taking you home.

It was quiet on the walk home, foreboding. The sky had gone gray. The wind aggressively tore through your clothing. A chill ran through you. Flecks of rain splattered across your ruddy cheeks, suggesting a more volatile storm was on the horizon.

By the time you reached your house, the rain had picked up. You didn't own an umbrella, so you weren't able to shield yourself from the onslaught that fell from the sky. The best you could manage was hooking your jacket over your head, but it did little to keep your clothes from getting soaked.

As you made it up the stairs to your house, you froze on the final step. The door had been left ajar. You and your parents never forgot to lock it. Your heartrate increased. Emoticon was dead. Kobura kept The League of Villains from coming after you. Could this be a new threat? Did someone else have a reason to attack you?

Your quirk vibrated in your skull. You reached out with your mind, finding your parents' thoughts first. They shouldn't have been home.

What do they want with us? your mother's frantic thoughts flittered into your mind first.

Fear erupted in your chest, and you slowly edged the door open.

How could they have found us? your father's panicked question came next.

You stepped across the threshold as quietly as you could. Your attention landed on your parents' shoes. They had come home early. This break-in must have happened after they'd gotten into the house safely. You reached your quirk out again to gain some more details before coming into contact with the threat.

This is for Sweet Anna. It's not for you. It's always been for her. You need to do this for her, Kobura's thoughts hit you like a fist to the face.

You never thought Doku would go this far. You thought he would have stopped The League of Villains if it came to this, came to them threatening you or your family again. Instead, he was working with them to kidnap you. He had to be if he was standing in your house now. He was the only one that knew you were living here.

You rushed forward, realizing your mistake far too late. Your ankle caught on a tripwire, invisible to the naked eye and unexpected in your new house. A mechanism triggered. Several shots fired from all directions. You hadn't been ready for it, but you managed to catch some of the projectiles out of the air with your quirk. Pain burst in your thigh and your upper arm. Kobura's burs, ones laced with his venom had pierced your skin. Your face blanched. You pulled them out with your quirk, but already felt the venom working its way through your system, numbing your quirk.