Think: Chapter Seventy-Five: A Hero's Recipe for Disaster

My Hero Academia Fan Fiction by Agent ARK 88

Chapter Seventy-Five: A Hero's Recipe for Disaster

You stared down at your recipe notes with intense focus. You couldn't believe how hard it was for you to decide what to make for the School Festival performance. It had been a couple of days of preparations already, and you were on the testing phase of cookie creation. Eri had visited the grounds too, and the pressure to make something she would love was weighing on you. You were thankful that she had recovered to the point that she could leave the hospital and come to U.A.. You jumped when you heard Shoto clear his throat behind you.

"You scared me," you said, chuckling. "I guess I was too focused on trying to get this right." You turned back toward your notebook and pouted when you saw that you'd accidently drawn a line across the page.

"My apologies," Shoto said. "I wanted to check in on you."

"Ah," you mumbled. "You really don't have to. I'm used to working alone."

Shoto hummed in thought, gazing at you in silence for a moment. "Kirishima and I will be working on our special effects part of the School Festival performance, so I can't lend a hand for some time; however, Sero has already expressed that he's bored to tears. I will retrieve him."

"Huh?" you asked, looking back up at him, but Shoto had already left the room. You let out a heavy sigh. You told him that you'd be fine working alone, and you had meant it. You really didn't mind. You were used to it.

You shifted some of your test ingredients around, considering different cookie combinations. You'd never been so stuck in your life. Were you nervous because you wanted to make sure that Eri liked them, or was it that you wanted to make sure they were perfect to not embarrass your classmates? You were pretty much on your own for the entire week leading up to the performance because Sato needed to practice his choreography, which proved more daunting than he expected. You were probably nervous making so many baked goods on your own.

"Did someone request the company of a charismatic side character?" Sero asked jokingly as he sauntered into the common area kitchen.

You blinked at him in surprise. "Shoto said that he was going to bring you here, but I already told him that I was fine. I've worked independently very often in the past and..." you trailed off, realizing what exactly you were saying. Since coming to U.A., you were rarely alone. You'd gotten so used to working by yourself in the past that it hadn't used to bother you. Maybe, you were struggling to come up with ideas because that had changed. It felt nice having someone, anyone, around to talk to.

"Girls always say that they're fine when they're the exact opposite," Sero said, giving you a toothy grin. He tied back his straight black hair into a ponytail. "Show me how I can help. I haven't been doing much of anything for the Special Effects Crew yet, so it's been a total drag. We've pretty much settled on who is needed where. There are only some logistics and props to construct. My quirk is more useful on the day of the performance anyway. Plus, if I hang out with you, I get to test out some sweets." He settled beside you, scanning over your notes.

You hesitated to push the recipe closer to him. He towered over you, much like his other friends, but he was much more slender. You pushed your notes out in front of him, tugging at your braid. You didn't know Sero very well. All you knew was that he was part of the self-proclaimed Bakusquad. He seemed nice enough, less serious than Bakugo but definitely more grounded than Denki.

"You seem nervous," Sero stated. "You don't have to be. I know we don't know each other very well, but I'm not a bad guy. Promise I won't hit on you either." He kept his eyes moving across your curvy handwriting, seemingly unperturbed by bringing something up like that so bluntly.