Think: Chapter Ninety: A Volatile Operation

My Hero Academia Fan Fiction by Agent ARK 88

Warnings: This work contains mild language, blood, and violence.

Chapter Ninety: A Volatile Operation

"Does anyone hear me?!" Shinso's voice boomed into your earpiece, and you winced.

Shoto and you had already sprung into action, racing down the long hillside path toward the large building. You bounced into a sprint, lifting your finger to your ear.

"Mindjack? We hear you. What happened?"

"Bakugo jumped...damn bazooka," his voice crackled in and out as if the signal was being jammed again.

"You're welcome..." Bakugo snapped through his own communicator. "Next time...take the blast." Static clung to his every other word. Bakugo growled, before his voice cut out again.

From your vantage point, you could see Bakugo zipping around down below, trying to fight his way out of danger.

"We're on our way," you said, hoping it would pick up through the communicator.

You sprang through the damaged building first, but Shoto was not far behind with his ice. On your way down to the ground, you clicked open several of your utility pockets, flinging an assortment of support-tech projectiles into the air. You snatched them with practiced ease, sending a mind blast below your feet to keep you from crashing into the ground. You landed, drawing in the colorful orbs and spinning them around you in a display of rainbow color. Without your mentor, you only dared to go on the defensive. The point was to cause enough of a distraction to get Bakugo out.

You triggered nets and sticky poppers to subdue the villains' approaching you, making a path toward Bakugo. As you got closer, you realized the damage he'd actually taken. Sure, he was used to explosions, but a bazooka shot, especially one modified for villains, at close range would knock most people out of commission. The only indication of his injuries rounded out to small scratches, burns, and powdered soot covering his skin.

Bakugo zoomed past you, incapacitating someone that had tried to hit you with a swipe of his palm. The blast sent a warm wave of wind through you. He grinned as if he was actually enjoying this and launched onto another attacker.

A heart-shaped arrowhead struck next to you, catching a Counting Sheep member by his pant leg. He tumbled over as you backed away. You turned your gaze up, bumping directly into your mentor, Heart of Hearts. She looked less than happy. She grabbed you by the back of your hero costume, hoisting you up and behind her.

"This was supposed to be a stakeout. We were not to engage in combat," she said sternly.

"I know. W-we didn't. A Counting Sheep member ambushed us," you started to explain the situation, but Hearts gave you a sharp look in return.

Hearts' pink eyes were glazed over in anger. She nocked another arrow, letting it fly, just before engaging in hand-to-hand combat with another villainous member. She flipped him over her tall body with ease. He slammed to the ground, and you winced.

"Deku and I were ambushed too. I ordered him to stay at our original position just in case other gang members were making rounds to guard this place." Hearts grabbed another villain, kneeing her in the chest before dropping her to the ground. "This is a one-sided battle. We are outnumbered." Her eyes darted around the crowd. Hearts cracked an elbow into another villain's nose as he tried to come at her with a bat. "Those villains were no match for Deku's Blackwhip. He should be fine, but I hate to separate any of you. You're all capable to fight on your own, but this..." Hearts motioned to the people clambering over each other to get to each of you. She swung a round kick into two others and took them down. She met your attentive gaze with her frightened one.