Chapter Two

I follow Tony and he leads me to another elevator. I debate on making small talk with him but my mouth is too busy smiling.  No one we pass loses focuses from what they're working on. That's what I intend to do as well.

"The Beatles? How does a young lady like yourself get into the oldies?"

The elevator door opens before I can answer the question. I don't think he really cared for the answer since he isn't pressing me about it. Which is good, I am not here to talk about my childhood or family.

"You want to go up because if you go down you will end up with the dead rather than the DNA."

"Autopsy?"

"Good, now I know it was a good idea they hired you."

The elevator door opens and music is blasting through the halls. Tony walks toward the music, and I follow. Is the music coming from the lab? I don't know what the singer is saying but music helps me focus. No matter what genre or beat it has I'm ready for it.

As we enter the lab, I witness a girl focusing on something between the tweezers she is holding. She is 5'10 but her shoes add two or three inches. Her short black hair is in pigtails.

"I hope you like music!" We are right next to each other and he had to yell for me to hear him.

"Definitely! It helps me think!"

"What!"

The pigtails fly in the air as the girl turns around and welcomes me with a smile. She turns off the music and comes running towards me wrapping her arms around me. It's like we have been friends for years and are reuniting.

"Hi! I'm Abby Sciuto! You can just call me Abby, or Abs. Anything but Abigail I hate that name, it is the worst. You're Melissa Peters right? Of course you are. Tony wouldn't bring you up here if you weren't. You wouldn't right Tony?" This girl can talk a thousand words a minute.

"Yes, this is Melissa Peters. Do you have any nicknames you like to share with us? Lissa? Mel? Maybe go by your last name Peters?"

Abby hits Tony on his left arm and they both start laughing. James  was wrong, these people did more than just sit at their desks all day and clock out like robots. I knew it.

"No, anything is fine, as long as I know I am the one you are talking to then we're good." I'm laughing and smiling with these two like we are already friends.

"The music was killer by the way. It was like being at a concert without all the sweaty bodies bumping into you."

"Thanks!"

"Without the sweaty bodies? I think that's the best be the best part." Abby and I lose DiNozzo for a second to his own thoughts.

"The Beatles? Nice! Not the music I listen to but makes sense to why you like it."

"I like anything that's good and that I can-"

"You know you never answered my question to how you got into music like that?"

A voice I haven't heard today sneaks up behind me, "Maybe she doesn't want to answer DiNosey." This girl, no, this woman is beautiful and 5'7. Her dark brown eyes look me up and down.

"You must be Melissa? I'm Ziva."

"Nice to meet you."

"What were you all talking about?"

"Sweaty bodies hitting each other." He came back and we lost him in the matter of seconds.

"Anyway, Gibbs is done with his meeting he can see you now."

"I was going to tell him that." Tony looks at Ziva as if she took his moment of glory.

"Well, you're too slow." These two haven't broken eye contact with each other since she walked in the lab. There is something between them. I just can't figure it out at this moment.

Ziva heads for the door. "Come on Melissa, I will take you to him."