Chapter 64

After finally convincing Tim to get out of the bathroom so that I could get ready. I sneakily pull my suitcase into the bathroom and pull out the black dress. I went through the door entering the kitchen to get my shoes without him seeing. This is a special night, with a special dress, and a special guy. I want everything to be perfect. Not too perfect, or it wouldn't be real.

Also, I can't get ready for something like this without my iPod. When I am getting ready, I like to listen to something with a good beat, something that makes me excited about just being here. I always find myself listening to the Still Not Getting Any album by Simple Plan. I know two more albums of theirs have come out since this one, but this one has less sad songs than the others. Tonight, is not a night to be sad. Tonight, it is him and I, nothing can be sad about that.

I hear a knock at the door while applying the lip gloss Abby suggested I use.

"Yes?"

"Let me have your iPod. He has a stereo system that will support it." His hand is the only part of him to enter the bathroom.

"Are you sure? This music gets kind of intense." Like us.

"I'm sure I can handle it." He's had heard some of the music I listen to before, just not the ones that get intense. Hopefully, it doesn't scare him off. I doubt it, if you like me, you got to like my music. Or at least deal with the fact that it will be played.

I go over to the door and hand him the iPod. He pulls my hand to kiss it on the other side of the door.

When I get my hand back and the door closes, I continue to rummage through the makeup Abby thought I would need.

I decided to leave my hair down and wavy. I feel like it brings out the top of the dress anyway. Also, I don't have a curler or straightener. Luckily, Tim's friend has a blow drier, so I had that going for me.

When I'm Gone starts to play throughout the apartment. I bang my head thinking, what is Tim thinking?

I apply the mascara to my lashes, while managing to only poke myself in the eye twice. Abby mentioned to use the periwinkle color in her eye shadow palette. She told me not to pack it on, just to do light touches. I put my converse on and stare at myself in the body length mirror that is hanging on the door. I can't believe how the dress looks. I can't believe I followed Abby's instructions. I must have because I have no idea who I am looking at right now. Somehow, I feel myself forming into another person. It is the person I am when I am with Tim. I hope he likes it. Thinking about it is causing me to feel excited and nervous.

The End starts to play. Now is the best time to get out there before the next song plays. I have this album memorized and the next song isn't one of the happy ones. I knock on my side of the door.

"Melissa, you don't have to knock. I'm ready." I'm surprised that he heard that from how loud the song is playing.

I slowly open the door without Tim standing behind it. I walk to the end of the closet to see him facing the stereo under the flat screen. He is wearing a black suit. I can tell the shirt is white because he is trying to put on his cufflinks.

"You need some help there?"

He turns around and he freezes. His eyes scan my entire body while his hands fall to his sides.

I put my head down to look at my converse. Abby and I both agreed to the fact that they would look good with this dress. I still think that, I'm just not sure he is going to think the same thing.

When I look back at him, he is still staring at me with his mouth slightly open.

I walk over to him and grab his hands and fix his cufflinks. "James would have trouble with these when we went to church on Sundays. My mom sung in the choir, so she would have to be there early for warm ups. He instructed me how to do one. The other I had to do by myself. Next thing you know, I'm a six-year-old that knows how to put on cufflinks. I don't think I have to tell you when we stopped going."