Chapter 60

"You know what I think? I think you're trying to not like anything we have looked at on purpose."

I am on my second cup of coffee and Abby is about to throw out her second Caf-Pow. "What? I am trying. I just haven't seen a single thing that has caught my eye in the slightest."

"Even the shoes?" She gives me the side eye.

"Are you telling me I have to get a new pair of shoes for this occasion?"

"Peters!"

I throw my hands in the air. "Like I said, I haven't done this before. I have a strong feeling I don't need a new pair of shoes."

She stops me in my trails by standing in front of me. "Are you saying you have more comfortable shoes than your converses for walking around the city?"

"You can't take the shoes away from the girl, and you can't take the girl out of the shoes." I walk around her.

"I'm not sure that's how the saying goes."

We make our way out of the mall and she is pouting. I don't know what she expected. I just found out it would be a good idea to get something new for this event. I wasn't just going to grab the first thing I see because I need it. I want something that shows me and what I like. I want him to know that I am comfortable with him and can be myself around him. I love that I can say all these things to not only him, but to myself. That way, I know what I am feeling is real. I love feeling this way. I need something good.

We pass the parking lot and head for the strip mall that is across from the main mall. We see a Five Below, some restaurants, and a pet store. I think that we aren't going to find anything here. That was until I saw a small sign being blocked by the lights of Target.

"Wait. Abby, what is that?"

She picks up her speed to keep up with me. "I don't know. I haven't seen it before."

After fast walking passed children running away from their mothers and employees gathering shopping carts, we finally make it there.

"The Shop of Thrift." Abby says into my ear.

I make my way in and she follows behind. The store is dimly lit, and the clothes are organized by size. There are watches, cameras, hats, and pictures on the shelves on the wall. There is a woman behind the counter who sees us. She has long grey hair and is 5'5. She has glasses on but takes them off as she makes our way over to us.

"Hello girls. How are you doing today?"

I shake her hand. "We are fine, thank you for asking. How are you?"

"Last I checked this isn't a dream or heaven, so I'm doing pretty damn good."

We all laugh. "Is there anything I can help you ladies with today?"

That's when Abby chimes in. "Yes. My friend here is looking for something to wear on New Year's Eve, to the big apple."

The woman's eyes lighten up. "New York City, huh?"

I smile and look at the ground.

"Oh, honey. I know that look from anywhere. I believe there is a boy involved."

I smile even harder. "You can tell by a look?"

She nods. "Your face is also lit up like a Christmas tree."

Abby chuckles and I try to take the redness out of my face by thinking of, well, anything else.

She starts to walk, and we follow. "Everything in this store has a story. Sometimes I don't take an item unless it has one. That is when I can sense something from a look. Sometimes, it is too hard for them to think about letting it go. I cannot refuse someone's possession, so that is when I don't ask." She turns around and sees me looking at each item carefully. "I don't think a girl of your taste is going to have any trouble finding something here."