Chapter Twenty

McGee is driving us to Roger's gym. I don't know what it is about him, I just feel like his life doesn't add up. No one will never know everything that happens in someone's life not even that persons best friend. But I can't judge Roger's life when I can't put any of the pieces together. He cheated on Fran and I hate that about him. Hopefully, my theory is right, and everything won't be for nothing at the expense of losing his son.

McGee pulls into a strip mall parking lot and puts the car in park. "Do you see it?"

I get out of the car before he finishes his sentence. "It has to be here somewhere." Then, I see a sign that reads "Nelly's Nails."

McGee is following me with all the faith he has in me. He hasn't questioned me this entire time. We didn't even tell Gibbs what we were doing we just kind of went for it. I know he has my back in anything I do. I never had someone believe in me like he does.

We walk in and the place isn't busy at all. There are six workers there and two customers. I forgot that it is eight o'clock at night and people don't come out at this time to get their nails done.

A lady behind a busy desk stands up and walks over to us. Her smile is wide and stiff from trying to hard. Her outfit is business casual and it throws me off. I notice everyone in here is dressed that way, even McGee. He took off the jacket and cap off and I couldn't be more disappointed.

"I'm sorry we close soon. We also do not accept walk ins." I have a feeling she enjoys telling people to basically go to hell when they come in this late and with no appointment.

"We're not-"

"We're here to talk about one of your customers." I cut McGee off and he looks surprised at first then satisfied.

"Do you know a woman she manages the sushi place-"

"Oh, Fran!" She claps her hands and starts to laugh.

"When was the last time she came in here?"

Her eyebrows connect, and she examines us. "Is something wrong?"

"Yeah you can say that." She is testing my patience.

"Well, I can't give you that without a warrant."

She is acting as if she knows what we are looking for. Maybe she knows what happened maybe she doesn't. All I know is I can't give anyone a pass because of who they are.

"Yeah," McGee takes out his badge and puts it in her face. "We can get one fast we just figured this would be easier."

She goes over to her desk, because McGee told her to not because she wants to. She goes through her files and McGee stares at me again and I want to stare back. We are so close to getting her I can't let him distract me more than he already has.

"Oh yes." She looks confused at the stack of papers in front of her.

"What is it?" McGee and I say at the same time.

"It was very strange I didn't understand. She came in three days ago and got her nails done at her usual time. Then, the next day she came in and gets them done again because she ruined the others fast. I didn't understand how but who am I to turn her down."

"What color did she get?"

She laughs again making me look like even a bigger ass than before. "She came in and got this beautiful red and the next day changed it to a light blue."

I was heading for the door immediately with McGee thanking her and catching up to me. I pull my phone out and look for Abby's name.

"Abby? We got it. Did you get anything on the bobby pin?"