Chapter Thirty Seven

The sun is higher and brighter when we get back to the cabin. I was trying to run away from my problems and went too far I guess. The tables that took over the entrance of the cabin were moved outside. Abby and Jimmy were setting up the tables and were trying to decide what angles looked better. Tony handed me the wood and decided to go over to direct them and judge their work. Jimmy was listening as Abby started to interrupt. Then, Jimmy looked at me but looked away from me faster. This will all be fixed today just not now.

Ziva and Ducky were in the kitchen preparing food. Ducky was tossing a salad. Ziva was chopping all the vegetable she could with the biggest knife she could find. They already had mashed potatoes prepared. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Tony come in and put something in the microwave. When I put the wood in the fire pit on the side of the cabin I noticed huge tree stumps set up for each of us to sit on. Then, I noticed Gibbs cooking the fish on the grill.

"Now this looks like the Gibbs camping way. Kind of."

He smiles but keeps his eyes on the fish. "What are you talking about?"

"This whole cabin thing. It just doesn't look like the type of cabin I picture you being in."

The fire grows on the grill and he turns all the fish over. "I pictured a wood cabin not as shiny or big as this one. It has one bed room with two beds and a bathroom. You and Ducky sleep in there and the rest of us build our own tents."

"Why would I make you put together your own tent?"

"Because I don't know how."

I love that I can make Gibbs laugh. He always seems so stressed and overwhelmed. I'm glad I can make him forget all of that for a while.

"I see you and Tony got a good amount of firewood."

"Yeah and everything seems to be okay back here."

"Except McGee."

My smile quickly vanishes at the sound of his name.

"What do you mean?"

"He went on a walk. I didn't say anything about him not helping. Everyone here split into groups to help and are enjoying themselves. It seemed like he didn't know where to put himself."

I'm looking around to see which path he took. Gibbs points to the furthest one to the right. "He went that way."

I thanked him with a smile and started making my way over there.

The farther I get from the cabin the faster I run. I run until the wind takes my breath. I slow down but I don't stop. I try to time it for a minute and pick up the pace again. Only one biker passes me, and we didn't come close to colliding. Before I can regret not asking him to stop to tell me if he's seen a man in a T-shirt and khakis walking, I see him. I pick up the pace and yell as loud as I can. My voice is all foggy and it doesn't help that I have been running what feels like seven minutes straight. He doesn't stop walking but I'm thankful he doesn't start running. By the time I make it up to him I can barely slow my body down.

"Please if you could stop. I. I don't know. How much oxygen. I need before. My lungs form back into their shape." He doesn't look at me, but he does slow down. "Thank you."

I start to walk normally but my legs are so numb that I fall forward. He stops to help me up by grabbing my shoulders. He wipes me off and then keeps walking.

"How are you?"

Silence.

"Nice job catching that fish today. I didn't get a single thing, but you knew that."