Chapter 108

This is one of the mornings when I miss waking up and having someone to talk to

Normally, I sulk and drink my coffee. I don't think about the drugs because honestly, it's just funny to me now. I knew where she was coming from when she said that she feels as if this job is going to be the only thing she has. I know we come with the job, but if she ever wanted to leave; she would still have me.

In stead of drinking only coffee, I've decided to make eggs and toast. I don't think I've had it here since she's been gone. It's been hard.

I hear James open his bedroom door. I turn around to see how he's walking. I still get nervous that one day he's going to fall, and I won't have a clue, and he'll be stuck on the floor until I come back. The thought races through my mind a lot. I know it's ironic with how my childhood went. I guess I'm just not built like that. I'm more my mother's daughter.

"You're up early." He says in place of a good morning.

"Yeah." The sizzle of the egg catches my attention when I flip it. "Do you want eggs and toast?"

He sits down in his chair. "I'll take toast."

Just like that, I'm putting bread into the toaster.

He would never say this out loud, but Ziva leaving affected him too.

They were comfortable sitting with each other in silence. I hate sitting in silence with him. It makes me feel like he's going to say something that I won't like, or he just won't talk to me at all.

When he said something rude about the news, she would join him in conversation. They didn't always have the same views on things, but they always came to a common ground in the end. It was never an argument. They were just talking.

I know he really liked that she made breakfast every morning. Since I never really did before, he loved it.

He didn't go outside with us the day she was leaving. He rose from his chair and told her to take care of herself. He shook her hand before she left. She smiled at him. I could tell that they were going to miss the routine and relationship that they had. Though, there wasn't much of one.

When I get the coffee and both our food prepared, I take it over to him. He already has his folded table out and ready.

I place his food on the table and make my way to my room until his words stop me.

"Hey." I turn around, thinking that I forgot to give him something.

"Why don't you sit down for a second?"

He motions towards the couch.

I questionably look at it. I don't ask questions. I just sit.

He stares at the screen that's showing us what happened last night, since it's so early in the morning that nothing news worthy has happened yet.