Chapter Five

Tony wanted to drive and then gave the keys to Gibbs. Tony accompanies me in the back seat. Everyone is doing something of their own. Gibbs is focusing on driving and drinking his coffee. Ziva is giving directions even though the GPS is in front of Gibbs. Tony is staring out the window at the scenery.

I see Gibbs blue eyes look up into the rearview mirror. His eyes meet with mine and he looks back at the road.

I am about to see a dead body, not my first. I still feel unprepared.

"Don't worry Peters. This is where all the fun happens." Tony tries to relax the nerves I just built up inside me.

"A dead Naval Officer is fun Tony?" Gibbs didn't look up from the road this time.

"No, boss I was just-"

"Gibbs we're here." Ziva's practically out of the car before it's in park. Tony races out of the car just to keep up with her. I'm a few steps behind Gibbs just waiting for him to tell me what to do.

"You guys NCIS?"  A local cop stands behind yellow tape that reads "Crime Scene Do Not Cross." The three of them show him their badges that gives them authority to cross.

"She's with us." Gibbs referring to me.

"What is it Ducky?" Gibbs leads me to an adorable old man with a Safari Fedora.

"Jethro, I wish it was something good." His voice is soft and calm. The closer we get to him I see more of the Naval Officer. There she is, resting on the dirt. She wasn't alone, and she is not alone now. Her face doesn't look like I thought it would. Her face doesn't show fear or anger. She looks as if she knew it was coming.

"Dr. Mallard, this is Melissa Peters. She is Abby's new assistant."

"It's very nice to meet you Dr. Mallard."

"Oh please, call me Ducky we're going to be spending a lot of time together." What does he mean? I am only out here for today.

"Okay, Ducky," Now I know I have another friend around here. "sorry to hear about your assistant. Are they okay?"

"Oh yes, Mr. Palmer is running late as usual. I can't say I am disappointed because now everyone can see I am not the one who makes us late." Ducky has the type of presence that is welcoming and calming.

"Peters!" I turn at the sound of Tony's voice as a camera lands in my hands.

"Whatever Ziva marks with one of these flags, you're going to take a picture of it." Something I can do, it couldn't be simpler. With my luck I will somehow mess this up.

Ziva starts to call out the things she finds and marks them. I take three photos of each object she finds so I know one of them will come out alright. It's cool to see the evidence before it's taken to the lab. I can't get the thought out of my head that I'm here.

"Peters!" I don't think I am ever going to hear my first name again.

"McGee will take the camera from you. I need you over here."

I lower the camera from my face to turn my attention to the man walking towards me with his head hanging low.