Chapter 67

When we get to the apartment, I think Tim's taking out the bottles of wine he bought. Instead, he pulls out three bottles of champagne. He says, "The wine isn't the drink to get drunk. Champagne is the drink to do the job, especially on this night." When he asked his friend about staying in the city, he mentioned that we could have the champagne because he doesn't like it. I wonder why. He has plenty because his girlfriend works for a champagne company. They are constantly giving their workers samples, and bottles as gifts. I'll smile through the pain of drinking something that doesn't sit with me well. Champagne isn't the drink for me. I know I said that about wine, and then enjoyed the ones he offered me. It's just no matter what champagne it is, it isn't going to go down my throat well. If it's what I have to do to get drunk with my boyfriend, then so be it.

We have 20 minutes to end 2009 drunk and start 2010 the same. He gets out the champagne glasses and pours us both a drink. The champagne glasses have gold glitter on the side of the rim. I wipe my finger against it to make sure the glitter doesn't come off. To my surprise, it doesn't.

We sit on the bed with our legs crossed. He turns on the TV to put on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest. He leaves it on in the background but turns down the volume.

He faces his body towards me. "So, I filled our glasses with the same amount of champagne. I wonder which one of us can chug it the fastest?"

I look at him with a surprised look. "Excuse me, I need to leave and go find my boyfriend. I must have left him back at the restaurant."

He chuckles. "No, I'm your boyfriend, but you want to get drunk and drunk we will be."

"You want to get drunk with me, right?"

"My girl is not getting drunk alone on New Year's Eve. Besides, I haven't been drunk in a very long time and can't imagine doing it with anyone else."

I lick my lips. "On three."

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

We put the glasses to our mouths and drink. Our heads are tilting back as we reach the bottom. I put my head forward a millisecond before he does with a smile on my face.

"Ha! I win!" I shove my glass in the air.

"Yeah, yeah. Okay, let's go again." He reaches for the champagne bottle and starts to pour more.

"I have an idea." I say with a smirk on my face. He looks at me nervously. "What if because I won, you give me a little more champagne?"

He's convinced and pours me a tiny bit more than him.

"And take off your shirt."

I tilt my head as his body freezes putting the bottle down. "W-what?"

"Take off your shirt."

"Are you trying to make a strip game out this?"

I think about a name for it. "Yeah, chug or strip. I chugged, you didn't fast enough, now shirt off."

He leans closer to my face. "Baby, we don't have to play a game for me to take off my shirt."

I push his lips back with my fingers. "Flattering will get you nowhere Timothy. In this game. You will refer to me as only Melissa. Shirt off."

He looks at me as I wait for him to take his shirt off. He stands up and starts to unbutton it. I watch his hands unbutton each one. He takes his shirt off leaving the bowtie around his neck. I can't help but laugh, not because of the way he looks because he looks damn sexy. I laugh at the fact he found a loophole in a drinking game.