Chapter Forty

I just want to say I am sorry for being M.I.A. for months now college was crazy and it isn't over yet but I am ready to get back into action! Thank you to those who have been patient and I am not only sorry to you but to the ones who moved on without me.

Now enjoy the rest of What Really Happens.

Kissing Tim makes everything in my body go weak. I can barely think straight when his lips touch mine. Tim drove me to and from work today because he couldn't wait to see me. He said he wanted to pick me up early because he wanted to get coffee with me. When he said that I thought that we were going to sit in the cafe and enjoy our coffee together. Later, I found out in the parking lot of the coffee shop he just wanted to kiss me for 30 minutes straight. He didn't hear me complain though.

When we got to work, my agents ended up being bored for all there was to do was paper work. I suppose nothing extreme or life threatening happened today. I would say I am disappointed, but I am really not. Abby and I used today for gossiping and goofing around with Ducky when we could.

Tim's teeth grab my lip and he slowly releases them. "So when am I taking you out?"

I give him a pout. "You're really going to start talking now after kissing me like that?"

"Leave them wanting more, right?"

I reach for my stuff on the floor and he brings me back to him and starts kissing me again. I love the feeling of having his hands go through my hair. When I touch his shoulders I just want to bring him closer to me.

Tim pulls away from me. "I'm seriously, Melissa. I want to take you out. I want to get to know you."

Remembering that I told him that I never had a boyfriend leaves me to feel unsettled. As much as I love that I opened up to him about the tiniest part of my life; I am also scared that I did. I want him, he knows that and I know that. If we both want the same thing to come out of this relationship then I am going to have to get comfortable with the idea that I am going to have to talk about myself and my life.

"How about you come back at seven, lean on your car like Jake in Sixteen Candles, and we go from there?"

"Melissa, if you couldn't already tell, I really like you. But if you are going to reference movies like Tony does, I don't think this is going to work out."

"Do you have something against Sixteen Candles?"

"No, I have this thing against picturing Tony when I am kissing you."

"Really? I do that."

"Is that so?" His lips pass mine and go straight to my neck.

I give him one more kiss before I grab my stuff and get out of the car. He holds my hand as long as he can before my body is halfway out the door. "Now I have to get ready for tonight as do you."

He smiles and waves goodbye, leaving me at the sidewalk in front of my home. When I get inside James is asleep as usual. I don't complain or worry unless I don't hear him get up for his dinner. I'm home early today, so I will know whether he actually eats it or not. We have been through a lot, but I have t admit my life would be different if he wasn't around anymore. I pass him without making a sound and get to the basement.

My phone starts to ring as I walk toward the racks I have hanging all my clothes.

"Ziva!"

"Hello Melissa! I didn't get to see you today. Just wondering how your first day back was?"

"Mine was fine. Abby and I basically locked ourselves in the lab and visited Ducky when we felt like it. What about you? Did you see Jimmy today?"

"Just in the morning in the break room. It was clearly awkward but I think we made it so awkward that it wasn't awkward anymore."

"Congratulations?" I have no idea what she means.

"Thanks. You doing anything tonight? Tony and I were going to get a couple of drinks with everyone."

Crap. I want to go see everyone and spend time with Tim too. I feel weird saying I can't go without being able to say the reason I can't go. I wonder if she called Tim.

"I can't tonight, Ziva. How about you and I go out this week together just us and we can do whatever you want?"

"Sounds good to me."

"Make sure someone is the designated driver, okay? Tony, Tim, I don't care who."

"I don't think any of us are going to get that drunk tonight but your words to God's mouth." She means from your mouth to God's ears, but that's okay. "Besides I have never seen Tim that drunk, not that he is coming either he said he had other plans. Should I be assuming you two will be-"

"You know what they say about assuming Ziva."

"No, I don't. What do they say and who is they?"

Yup, she is not kidding. "I'll tell you tomorrow."  I hang up the phone and head for the shower. I will decide what to wear while I am in there.

It's 6:55pm and I am waiting upstairs with James for Tim. James doesn't know this is a date, he doesn't care either. Also, I wanted to check that he ate and isn't drinking the alcohol that is in the cabinet.

"What are you all dressed up for?"

I didn't think he noticed. "I mean I'm not really dressed up, it is just a dress."

"Yeah, but it's not black. It is about time you added some color back into your life."

Come on, James. Stop acting like you don't know you're the one that sucked all the color out of it in the first place. I've been through so many of these backhanded compliments that I know now to ignore them out loud, and deal with them in private.

I look at the alarm clock next to James' chair and it reads 7:01pm. I jog to the window as fast as I can in heels, and I see my Jake, leaning on his car waiting for me.

"See you later." I know I won't. He knows it too. I think that is why he stopped saying goodbye to me when I leave.

I try to control my feet when I walk out the door until I finally get to him. "Hi."

"Hi."

"Are you here for me?"

"I heard you were here." Little does he know those words are sending the butterflies out of control. Glad he got over the whole Tony thing and got into the spirit of this date.

He opens my door and makes sure no limbs are hanging out of the car. He gets in and finally puts his lips on mine. It has only been a few hours and I have missed them dearly.

"We could just stay here if you wanted to."

"Yeah, okay." I say sarcastically.

"I'm just kidding. No I'm not. Just kidding I am." I tilt my head at him. "Alright I would be just fine kissing you all night. Is that so bad?"

"I guess not." He leans in for another one, but I hold him back. "I just thought you wanted to get to know me."

"You know I do."

He starts the car and we are off on our first date.

"You never told me where we were going by the way."

"I thought we would just go pick up a cake, head back to my place, sit on the table, pretend it is your birthday, and kiss like I was your wish come true."

I put my head in my hands because he is making me smile too much. Little does he know, my wish is coming true, it is just getting started.