Chapter Eleven

It's now 9:34pm, and the lateness interferes with my technicalities. I found my way to the break room. It's small for the amount of people that work here. Yet, I have never seen anyone here take a break. People walk in and either get food from the fridge and then walk back out.

The two things keeping me company is my flip phone, which must be on even when I'm here. The other is my iPod that holds all the songs that help me escape and relax.

"Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield is always on repeat. The song has such good lyrics and an amazing beat. Sometimes when I can relate to a song, it shows me a different perspective in my life. With this song, I just want to enjoy it and not think about anything. I start bopping my head when I see a familiar face sit down next to me.

"Hey, I'm sorry I got out late." I take the earbuds out of my ears and smile at McGee. I guess it's the end of the day. "Our suspect wasn't answering any questions and never asked for a lawyer. There was no way I was going to get to him, so I had to get Gibbs. Well, that doesn't matter now. Sorry to keep you waiting."

"What do you mean?"

He freezes. "I kept you waiting and I feel bad. That's why I said earlier-"

My laughing cut him off. I love that he never knows what I am talking about. It is my fault because I don't make myself clear enough.

"No," I reach for his arm. When I touch it we both freeze. I let go quickly before... before what I don't know. "I mean why would you not be able to get to him?"

I can see McGee get lost while he looks for an answer. "It's just Gibbs can do anything, and I knew he could get to him."

"I bet you could."

His body sits up straight and a smile starts to form. "Why do you think so?"

"I don't know. I just have a feeling." We smile at each other, grab our stuff, and head towards the elevator.

We tell each other about our day all the way to the elevator. I hope he couldn't tell I was doing this on purpose. I want the car ride to include getting to know him. I don't want to know Special Agent McGee, I want to know Tim.

We finally make it to my Cherokee in the garage.

"Nice car." He is the second person, after my father to see my car. Though, he is the first one to compliment it.

"Thanks."

McGee looks around as if he's lost something.

"You don't have a GPS?"

No, Tim I don't have a GPS. I just got his car a week ago because I finally got a job worth my while. If I say that you will ask questions that I don't want to answer, and you won't want to talk to me again.

"No, I don't." I look at the dash board to distract myself from saying anything else.

McGee reaches into his bag and takes out, no way, a GPS?

"Okay do you carry that wherever you go? If so I will give you a ride any day." I laugh while talking because I'm just so shocked that he just pulled that out of his bag.

"No, I don't always carry this. I grabbed one from the garage, so you know where to go. This way we can talk instead of me constantly interrupting you." He starts to mount it onto the dashboard and I'm speechless. We were thinking the same thing while walking to my car. He does want to get to know me like I want to know him.

"That's cool of you." Is all I manage to say. I start the car and put it in drive. I feel his eyes on me. I like that he's looking at me but part of me is getting nervous.