Chapter 48

Tim is driving past things that I don't remember seeing on the way here. He isn't talking he is just following Tony and Hayley. I am surprised he can still keep up with them. It started to snow while I was talking to Hayley.

"What is going on Tim and where are we going?"

He tightens his grip on the wheel. "We arrested Hayley for Jason's murder and are now taking her to the police station."

The police station?

"Yes. The police station as you can see, it is snowing. Gibbs doesn't think it is safe for us to drive back today so we are interrogating her here and staying at a hotel overnight."

"Okay. What proof did you guys get?"

He sighs. "Toby told us that his dad and her were seeing each other on the low. So low, that his dad didn't even want him to know. Then, he showed us proof that Jason and Jill were talking again. Jill confirmed it. Then, Toby said that rope that was used to hang him could only be from her because he saw it with her one time or something. Then, when we get to the school, we saw a pile of the rope in her car."

There is no way Hayley did it. If they compare her body weight to a Marines anyone can see that.

"Tim, I'm sorry but it can't be her. Did you notice-"

"Why doesn't that surprise me?"

"What?"

"The one person it is obvious to be you don't think did the crime because you had a one on one with them. Which you shouldn't have had, I should have gone with you."

"It's not just that, Tim. When I got there, I overheard them yelling at each other and what they were- Tim!"

His car skids because he turns fast and late to keep up with Tony. I don't think the snow is the thing that is distracting him.

"Tony doesn't know how to drive in the snow."

I don't think that is the case but something else is going on.

"How could you do that?"

"What?"

"You overheard them yelling at each other and you didn't do anything?"

I'm lost for words. He hasn't looked at me since Tony arrested Hayley. What is going on with him?

"But I got some information I think will help."

"No, that's not the point!" He raises his voice. "Hasn't anyone told you about-"

"Rule #1 never let suspects stay together. I know!" I throw my hands in the air and turn away from him. "Why are you talking to me like this?"

"I'm just upset."

No kidding. "Look, I'm sorry I let them stay together but if you heard what I was hearing you would have done the same thing."

"No that's not the point, Melissa."

We pull up to the police station. Tim puts the car in park and I see Tony take Hayley inside. We are just sitting there until he finally turns to me.

"You have been acting different since we spent the night together. Since you stayed over, I mean."

My mouth drops and my forehead curls. "No, I haven't. What are you talking about?"

"You didn't stay a minute longer when you woke up the next morning. I called you three times last night and you would not answer until I called you a third time. I wasn't allowed to ask my girlfriend if she was okay after being thrown around in some construction machine. The cherry on top of it all is," He pauses and looks away from me. I have never seen him like this before. I feel like he is speaking in tongues, but I understand him. Just not where he is coming from. "While you were up in the machine, my heart stopped. And the first thing, the first thought that came to your mind was to yell for Tony. Hearing you shout his name, I felt it go through my entire body. The only reason I stopped from making a fool out of myself was seeing you up there and having the thought of losing you at any second. I felt worthless and then, when I saw you up there, I knew I couldn't be."