Chapter Twenty-One

I have never been in this position before. I'm staring at my closest as if I have nothing to wear for tonight. It's filled with band t-shirts, sweatshirts, and plain shirts. I have many pants but not fancy pants; mostly leggings. The Ramones aren't even helping calm the fuck down. Believe me, Joey Ramone, I wanna be sedated too.

Why couldn't I bring extra clothes to work like Abby did? Why did McGee have to offer to drive me tonight? Why didn't I fight it? How did he get my address? I know why I didn't fight it but, how did he get my address?

Finding people are his job so, I suppose that's how. He makes being smart look so sexy.

Oh, why? Why can't I fight his beautiful green eyes that make the butterflies in me lose their mind?

I notice my phone has been ringing the entire time of asking myself questions I don't have the answers to.

"Hello."

"Peters!" I wish Abby could give me her energy through the phone.

"Hey Abby. Is everyone on their way?" I hope me trying not to sound nervous is working. Maybe McGee forgot he offered to get me. It would be a blessing but also depressing.

"Almost. McGee forgot to get your address."

So, he asks Abby to ask me for my address?

"The guy who can hack anything can't get my address?"

"Good point Peters. See you soon!" She hangs up the phone and leaves me with my thoughts.

Okay, now I really have to find something to wear. I might as well go with something simple right? I grab this black dress that looks like it could pass as a long shirt and just throw it on. I would wear my chucks, but I have been wearing them all day, every day. I find my black Doc Martins and look in the mirror.

I hear a shout come from upstairs. "Melissa!"

I roll my eyes off instinct; I have been doing it my whole life.

I walk up the stairs hidden behind a door in our one-person kitchen. I turn and James, who likes to call himself my dad, is sitting in the same chair he was in this morning. He sits in the same green chair in front of the television every day. He has his cane resting on the left side of the chair as usual.

I stare at him with my arms crossed. "Yes?"

I do anything I can to not call him "dad" to his face. I know if I call him James I will get yelled at and he's scary when he yells. That's what I remember from when I was younger, he doesn't bother to yell at me now. He knows that I wouldn't listen if he bothered, it just that yelling bothers me. I hate remembering our stupid so called memories together. He doesn't deserve the label dad. To be one you have to act like one, not just say you're one and acknowledge your kid once a month.

"There was a lot of movement going on down there I wanted to know if you were okay."

Yeah right. He just wants to know where I am going.

"Are you going out tonight?" See.

"Yeah with some work friends."

I hear a ding come from the microwave and he starts to get up. I put my hand up to him and I get his TV Dinner out of the microwave. I may not like the guy, but I would never make anyone with a cane get up when they don't have to. He got shot in the leg when he was in the war or something. I don't know much about it, but I know he doesn't like to talk about it.

I get the folded table out and put it in front of him. I go back to the kitchen to get him a glass of water and then I see it. The stupid bottle of scotch he leaves around to show that he never touches it. He's trying to turn his alcoholic life around. It all started when I got the job at NCIS. I guess he realized I'm not always going to be around for him to bash all the time, so he can forget how he doesn't do anything around here.

"Can't we just get rid of the bottle? It's going to collect dust just sitting here."

He grunts. "No, I want it there."

"It's stupid."

"Leave it."

I get him his stupid water and then try to find something to snack on before I go out. Can't drink on an empty stomach. I learned that from him, and my first-time drinking.

"There's nothing in this stupid house." I meant to say that so only I can hear it.

"Oh, you're eating again? Didn't think you were since you're never home. Thought you were falling back into old habits."

The bastard. Of course, he would bring up the past just, so he can forget about how shit the present is. This is why I never want to be home. He just wants me around for entertainment, so he can humiliate me in my insecurities. Asshole. I slam the fridge door and thank god I hear the doorbell ring.

I notice this dress doesn't have any pockets, so I grab a little purse on the floor of our coat closet without a door.

"Melissa."

"Don't wait up."

When I pass him, he mutters "I never do. I know better."

It's a low blow but I know he won't get up either. He only does when it's something that concerns him.

I open the door and McGee's face lights up mine. He's wearing his dark gray button up shirt with light gray pants. He looks at me up and down and he tries to find the words, any words to say.

"Melissa, you look-wow."

I close the door, so my dad doesn't get suspicious of who is here. "You look wow too." Did I just say that?

We go in for a hug and he gives me a kiss on the cheek. My body falls into his and he catches me from falling off the one step in front of the door. That one little touch made my legs weak and my mind lose control.

He helps me find my balance and smiles at me. "We should stop meeting like this. One day I'll lose my balance and need you to catch me."

"I guess I can do that since you've never let me fall."

"I never will."

His hand slowly moves down my arm and goes back to his side. I want to hold his hand. I want him to want to hold mine. I know we shouldn't, but I can at least want to.

We walk to his car and he walks me over to the passenger side and opens the door for me. I'm so shocked that I don't move.

"What? A guy never opened a door for you?"

"No." I want to cover up my slip, but I can't. He's being cute and romantic that I can't think.

He grabs my arm and pulls me closer. "Well, I'm glad I can be the first."