Chapter Seventeen

I'm in the back seat of Fornells car. Gibbs occupies the passenger seat informing Fornell he is going the wrong way. Fornell insists he isn't and then goes where Gibbs tells him. In between all that, Fornell looks in the review mirror at me. I stopped looking back at him after the fourth time.

I don't understand why I'm here. I don't understand what's going on. And I don't understand why I couldn't go with the others. There was one seat left for no one to sit in the middle back and it could have been mine.

I totally understand why the FBI would want to take care of this case. I just thought Gibbs put more into his work than just thought. It's good to know I was right.

We pull up to a simple two-story house. It's mainly white with red roof and a garage attached to it. The lawn is freshly cut with the rows still showing.

I step on the side walk and notice my three friends aren't here. They were right behind us when we pulled away from NCIS.

"Should we wait for them?"

Gibbs and Fornell walk right pass me and head towards the house. I think that's my answer.

We get to the front door which is red as well and the door opens before any of us could knock.

A tall blond man comes through the door and hugs Fornell. Gibbs and I stand there waiting for them to part. When they do Gibbs shakes his hand and the man thanks him for coming.

"Agent Daniels I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, agent Gibbs."

"I'm sorry I don't think I've met you yet. Agent Daniels but you can call me Roger."

Roger is built like a wrestler. His green polo shirt hugs his skin like it's about to pop. I'll be surprised if it doesn't.

"Melissa Peters. I'm sorry for your loss."

We all walk inside, and the house is spotless. It looks as if no one has ever moved anything out of place. We don't go anywhere we just stand near the entrance.

"I've been trying to piece it together. I still don't understand. What was he doing up in Atlantic City?" He looks like he is about to cry but doesn't.

"My agents are up there now trying to figure that out."

Oh, that's where they are. Not fair but whatever.

"I should have written to him. He was gone for months how could I not talk to my own kid?"

Months? Sorry Roger my fathers got you beat and I see him every night. Some would say I'm lucky, I don't.

"You couldn't have known." That's Gibbs comforting him. If it works, it works.

Fornell doesn't waste any time. "Roger, we got to check out his room to see if we can find anything that will help us."

Roger gets up and leads us up the stairs. We enter the first room on the right that has probably been closed since he's been gone. The room is a dark blue with posters. Some are of super heroes and other of the Navy. The comforter is a lighter blue matching his closet door.

"I'll let you guys work. Do any of you want anything? Water? Coffee?" He looks at me.

"No thank yo-"

Gibbs interrupts me. "She'll have some coffee and so will I."

I am glad he spoke up for me because I need it. I just feel weird taking something from a man who lost his son.

Roger leaves and Fornell follows him. Right off the bat Gibbs checks out the closet and I search, well, anything I can.