Chapter Thirteen

We're on the way home and I'm driving 65mph. Compared to how I was driving before, I feel like we will never get home. I would be happy about it, if it wasn't so quiet in the car. He hasn't said anything since everyone departed.

I kept my window down. It's early November and the weather is still warm. It's one of mother natures weird mood swings I guess. Out of the corner of my eye I look at McGee's suit. I wonder if he is comfortable in that. Not that it matters it's simply dress code. Out of everyone, Ziva and Abby look the most comfortable all the time.

McGee is looking out the window. I stare at the road and the GPS. He put his address in it before I got in the car. Does he get like this every time he arrests somebody? I assume it would have more cause for a celebration not complete silence. I can't take this anymore.

"You called me Peters out there."

He moves his head so fast I almost swerve into the left lane. I guess the silence was eating at him too. "What?"

"You have never called me Peters before. You and Ziva are the only ones that call me by my first name." I like it when he calls me by my first name. It makes me feel that when we met he saw me as a person not just his colleague.

"I will never call you by your first name on duty. In front of anyone, even if they are just visiting NCIS. I will address you by your last name."

Noted.

We start passing trees and signs that look familiar. We are almost to his house. This works out perfect for me. When he leaves and takes the GPS I will have to find my way home. I'm able to "get lost" and be out for a while. The down side is that I don't want him to get out of the car. I want him to start talking again.

It's too late. I remember these houses and lawns around us, we are here. I see his building and start to slow down. Not because I need to stop but because I don't want him to leave. We get in front of the building before my liking. I put the car in park. He doesn't move.

"You could have gotten hurt."

He's still not looking at me but I'm looking at him. I'm not going to look away this time.

"Yeah, I know." Please look at me.

"I-I was going to shoot him. He was too close to you. You were too close to him. He had a knife and could have seriously hurt you."

"I knew he wouldn't."

"Yeah, how?"

"Because you were behind me. I knew you wouldn't let anything happen."

Those green eyes finally look my way and make me feel better. We don't say anything, we just look at each other. He looks at every part of my face and my body is still.

"You got through to him. You knew exactly what he wanted to hear. How?"

I look down at the console. I have to because I'm about to tell him something about me. I don't like talking about myself it makes me nervous. In this case I make an exception.

"In my experience, I listen and open up to people when they think I'm right. It makes me feel secure enough to open my mouth and share my thoughts. I just decided to try it out."

"Good thing you did."

I look back at him with relief. I'm glad the only reason he was quiet during the car ride was because he didn't want me to get hurt.

"I wouldn't have," He pauses and faces the window again "I wouldn't have talked to him the way you did. I don't know what I would have done."

"I bet it would have been great. Better than what I did."

"What makes you so sure?"

"I told you," I turn his face towards mine, so he knows I mean it. "I have this feeling."

We stare at each other for a moment. I move it quick and look at the GPS. "Oh, don't forget this." I try to take it off the dash board when he puts his hand on mine.

"No keep it you're going to need it." He moves his hand and gathers his things. "For tomorrow when we do this again." He opens the door and gets out. He stands in the doorway with his handsome smile.

"Goodnight, Melissa." He closes the door and heads towards his building.

The butterflies in my stomach are going at it again. He turns around and waves before he disappears turning on the side of the building. I wave back at nothing. "Goodnight, Tim."

Everything is back to normal. He said my name and he smiled at me many times. I know I won't take that for granted ever again. I smile just thinking about it.

I pull my iPod out and blast John Lennon.