Chapter 45

I don't think I'm breathing. Scratch that, I know I am not breathing.

I saw everyone look up and I did the same. That is when I saw the body. It's hanging in a tree. Not only is it hanging there, but the face is stuck in shock. The eyes are wide open, and the mouth is the same. I can see the bugs entering his mouth. That isn't the worst part. His hands are stuck in the noose. We can all tell this wasn't a suicide because he is trying to get loose. I can see his hands, but his face is so distracting. His head his tilted, and it looks like he is screaming down at all of us.

"Peters, I didn't know what the body looked like I shouldn't have had you be here."

"I'm fine."

"Oh, really." He puts his hands on my shoulders. "Then, breathe for me."

"I am."

"No, no you're not. McGee!"

I'm still staring at Jason when I hear footsteps coming my way.

"Yeah, boss?"

"Get Peters back to Abby's and wait with her until Abby gets back."

I can't get my feet to move. "No, I'm fine."

"No, you're not Peters, come on let's go."

Tim's voice makes me break eye contact with Jason. I see Tony come up behind him with his equipment.

"Boss, why don't Melissa and I go to his house. His son is there with his ex-wife, Sarah."

Gibbs and I share a look. I know he doesn't want me to go. I should respect that, but I don't.

"Come on, you don't want to have dragged her all the way here just to have her leave when she probably could have been doing something more pleasant."

He turns to Tony and he stops talking. "Do you not find me pleasant DiNozzo?"

"No, I find you as pleasant as Ed Rooney, boss."

"Just take her DiNozzo."

Gibbs heads back to Jason and Tony makes his way to the car. I start to follow Tony when I feel someone grab my arm.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine."

"We both know that's not true."

"Ti- I mean McGee please. Can't we talk about this later?"

He shakes his head and releases my arm. I catch up to Tony who is holding the door open for me.

"What's wrong?"

Do they teach you to open doors when you work here? "Nothing, just, thank you."

It is weird driving with Tony and not having any music on. We are passing all these houses I have never seen before and driving on roads I have never been on either. At least, I think so.

"What are you thinking about?" Tony breaks my concentration.

"Jason's face."

He looks at me, but I can't look at him. "Never seen anything like that before?"

"No, that's the problem Tony. I have seen more intense things than that. It was his eyes, his mouth, and the way his hands were trying to break him free. I can't get it out of my head."

"Maybe what you thought was the worst, turns out to only be unpleasant."

"Like, Ed Rooney?"

He chuckles. "Yes, exactly like Ed Rooney."