Mixed Emotions (New Feelings Pt. 8)

Edgar POV
We were back in school on Sunday night. So I wanted to talk to the guys about my odd feelings about Colette and invited them to go to the Biodome. Once they were there, I explained my whole situation to them; about how I looked at the pictures of me and Colette together, how I felt an odd sensation creeping into me, how I kept on thinking about our past and friendship.

"Edgar, I think I know what you're feeling," Leon commented.

"What?" I asked.

"I think you like Colette!" Leon dropped a bombshell.

"Yeah, I agree!" Fang said, "It's possible that you really want to be with someone now and thinking about your past with Colette, seeing how she's in your sight all the time, always together with you...you may feel affection for her."

Leon nodded his head in agreement. I looked at both of them, confused. But as I thought about it, I felt my heart thump furiously, tinting our memories together pink. As I thought about how we shared a huge past, how we just looked like we matched perfectly in those photos......I felt butterflies overwhelm my heart.

"You should confess this to her," Leon suggested. "I'm pretty sure Colette likes you too..."

"Yeah, but what if she doesn't? Saying it will make me die of embarrassment." I murmured nervously.

"Come on, Edgar! You're one of the most popular guys in school—any girl would be lucky to have you! I say you give it a shot," Fang recommended.

"Fine...just hope I don't die of embarrassment..." I agreed worriedly.

I had arranged to meet Colette for dinner at the BioCafe, telling her there was something important she needed to know. Soon, she arrived at the table I had reserved, hidden among the plants.

Colette stumbled towards me, looking a touch concerned. She asked nervously, "Is everything all right?"

"Well...I just have something I want to tell you." I gripped her hand nervously, telling myself, "You can do this, " as I closed my head and said, "I'm glad I'm here with you. Even if I have something important to tell you."

Colette sucked in a breath—but I needed to say the rest before I let her talk; otherwise I was never going to get through it.

"I know you said you got over a bunch of things after your first date, and I'm sure that includes the stuff you told me about last time. And I know you said you're not looking for a relationship right now—and I get it. But ...it makes me a little sad. Mostly because it means I missed my chance to be with this really incredible girl who makes me laugh and always finds ways to be there for me when I need her. And that's fine. It's my fault—and I'm not trying to, like...guilt you into liking me again. I just felt like you should know why I might get a little awkward around you now. I'm trying to find out how to go back to seeing you as a friend—and it's hard, because I've just recently found out...how much...I care about you."

I squeezed my eyes closed. I told the truth! And it was absolutely terrifying...

"Edgar?" Colette's voice was barely a whisper—and it sounded so much closer. "You do realise," her eyes twinkled in the starlight, "if we do this, it could get super complicated. If it doesn't work out, our friendship could be ruined."

"All I care about is how you feel," I whispered. "If you're only doing this"
—I held up our clasped hands—"because you don't want to hurt my feelings—"

She twined our fingers together and shook her head. "Trust me—this is what I've wanted from the moment you stumbled into Griff's Shop moodily and stormed to the counter. I knew right away that I just met someone incredibly special—and every minute I've spent with you since has proven how true that is. But is this really what you want?"

My mind flooded with words.
Secrets.
Promises.
Confessions.
But somehow they felt like too much and not enough all at the same time.

So I pulled her in for a passionate kiss and let my resounding yes echo in the void.