Epologue 3: Promise

I twisted onto my side, staring at my phone. His name lingered on the screen like a burden, waiting to be pressed. I wanted so badly just to do it, but I was scared. What if he didn't want to talk to me because he was with his friends? Or was just too busy to answer the phone? It's been two weeks since our last text and almost three weeks since our last phone call and even then it didn't last longer than five minutes.

I didn't like this. What if I was right? He says I wasn't, but what if we really are growing apart? It's like our love is just dangling above our heads, teasing out hearts every time it tried to grip ahold of the feeling. I felt... lonely. And that wasn't necessarily Niall's fault, I mean we're both being stubborn. Neither of us wanting to make that first move.

Sighing, I locked the screen and pushed the phone away before biting my lower lip as it was about to jut out in a sad pout. I didn't want to cry, but I also didn't want to sit and just bottle up my emotions- which I seemed to be doing a lot lately; I'm trying to be strong. I didn't know what I wanted anymore.

I wanted Niall.

That was the obvious.

I just... I don't know how much longer I can put up with everything that comes with this. I thought a few weeks were hard, what's gonna happen when September and October rolls around and the time we get together becomes even shorter?

Whether I want to admit it or not, Niall's life is changing and I'm afraid to say that I'm falling out of it with each passing second. I knew it was bound to happen, that wasn't the surprise, I just wasn't expecting it to happen this fast.

Sucking in a sob, my eyes softly closed just as a round of hot, wet tears began to trickle down my face. With no attempt at wiping them away, each rolled down the same line, sticking to my chin just before they ran down my neck.

I don't want to lose him, he's my best friend and he's really all I've got, but I'm tired of hurting and from here on, the pain is only going to multiply.

Just as I had let out a whimper, my bedroom door suddenly opened making me whip over onto my other side. Lady's head rose and her ears perked before I felt her lay back down against the crease of my legs. She's the dog Niall bought me as a surprise when he visited me at the end of May, claiming that I need someone to protect me now that he was gone.

Some watch dog.

Tangling my blankets around my feet, my eyes managed to make out the silhouette who was just staring at me with wide eyes, his blonde hair lying in a heap of fluff across his forehead.

My heartbeat was now beating out of my chest, both of us anticipating who was going to make the first move. More tears fell numbly down my cheeks and finally when he noticed, Niall made the first attempt at dropping his bags and slowly walking towards me as if the ground was glass and only delicate footsteps could carry his weight.

"Khlo? Why are you cryin'?" His knees hit the floor, his face only mere inches from mine. I could see the sharpness of his jawline and the way his cheek bones were a bit higher since last time I've seen him. Niall's hands came into contact with my cheeks instantly making me flinch and gasp. "Babe, what's wrong?"

I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say. What are you supposed to say to your boyfriend who's barely ever around anymore and who you haven't talked to in almost a month. My mouth was completely dry.

Niall huffed and gave up, standing to his feet before he kicked his shoes and shorts off. I noticed Lady whine as Niall crawled in behind me. Once his arm slung over my side, my body began to shake as more tears fell, this time faster. My hair was picked up and moved around as he rested his head in the crevice of my neck and pressed his lips to my ear in a gentle kiss. "Don't cry, baby. I'm right here." My heart ached at his words. It didn't feel real. He was here in person, but was he really here? I'm not so sure about that...