Chapter 57

Khloe's POV*

As I stood there staring at the man who my heart longed for, I couldn't even begin to fathom what had happened in the last four days.

My brain couldn't process a single thing.

Anger and pain boiled inside of my chest, ripping and tearing at all my nerves.

I hate him.

No, not Niall. I get that he's confused and doesn't understand. But his father? My God, I hope to never see that low life again.

He did this. He ruined not only the man in this bed, but he ruined the relationship between us now, too.

Damn, I just wanna... Ugh! I hate him!

I was just starting to tear into Niall. I was starting to give him someone to rely on and trust. It's always been hard for him to trust, and I can see now why.

Just as I was starting to break down his walls. Niall was finally coming around. He was still hesitant, but he was allowing himself to come undone. I could see it.

We were making progress, and just as I had cracked the biggest wall yet, his father comes around and does this. He gets in the way, just like Niall had said. He ruins things, and he's ruined my biggest accomplishment and Niall's biggest achievement.

Us.

I only wish that I could have pulled harder, or been stronger. I wish that I could have stopped the monster. I tried. I really did.

After Niall fell unconscious, I could tell that his father knew. He smiled then turned to look at me before blasting his foot into Niall's gut one last time, the back of Niall's head slamming into the wall behind him.

I had screamed and covered my eyes, praying that someone would hear me and stop this.

Before, when I had gone to the streets to look for someone, there was this couple passing. I begged for them to help me, for them to do something, but they just gave me a quick glance before they continued on with their walk, laughing about like the world was full of roses and butterflies.

It's not.

As I had slowly pulled my shaking hands away from my face, I flinched back at the close perimeter that had decreased between the man and I.

He stared at me with crazed eyes, backing me into the wall. "And you!" He pointed at me my, his bloody finger only centimeters from touching me. "You stay outta' this! He is my son and I will deal with him the way I want." He spit at my feet.

The tears flooded my cheeks as I watched him walk away, leaving me with an unconscious Niall.

"Ms. Sparks." My head snapped up to see the old women enter the small hospital room.

My thoughts were drained from my head as she took a seat in a grey, plastic chair that was placed against the wall behind me. I backed up, sitting in the one next to her. My eyes never once left Niall; I just watched his chest slowly rise and fall. Every once in a while he'd whimper and move around a little, however he stayed asleep.

I frowned, taking in the black bruise just under his right eye and down his cheek.

I hate seeing him like this.

I bit my lip, trying not to cry again. I've cried too much today and I finally just stopped not too long ago.

"Khloe, I know this is hard on you." No. You don't. You have no clue how I feel right now is what I wanted to say to her, but I didn't. "I know this was unexpected. But, please just give him time. He is under a lot of stress right now. We don't want that to cause swelling in his brain."