Chapter 19

I woke up, my legs tangled in the oversized comforter, and my arms a little numb. I blinked a couple times, letting my eyes focus through the light that was now pouring from the window across the small room.

  My mind was clouded and my heart felt as if it had been through a heart attack, aching and barely beating. There was a heavy weight pushing down on my chest, both physically and mentally.

    I cannot imagine what Niall has been through, but based on what was experienced last night, I don't think I want to. I feel like I'm finally starting to understand, but my head is still hazy and confused.

  I pushed the thoughts away for now, taking in the new day. The room was warmer and the sun was shining, creating thin bright lines on the oak flooring where the shadows parted.

  Slowly moving my head, I tried to find a comfortable position without waking Niall. But, it's kind of hard when you're laying flat on a hard surface that is just as bad as sleeping on pavement.

  I felt Niall's arms squeeze around my hips a little, but then slowly relax. I could feel his heart beating on my stomach as his head lay on my chest.

  He looked so small. Better, though. His skin color was returning back to normal, along with the color of his lips. You couldn't tell he had cried, which was good, I guess, for his sake. Although, it still pained me that even though the average person couldn't tell, he was slowly dying inside. That last little flicker was all burnt out, and the ashes are starting to cool.

  I couldn't help but to run my hand through his blonde, fluffy bed head. It was tossed all over the place, rather than the usual blonde quiff. My fingers tangled into each soft piece, playing with the ends, watching carefully as the brown roots twisted into the blonde tips.

  He's so beautiful. I know that guys are suppose to say that about girls, but it's the truth. He doesn't even realize it. He doesn't realize that he is wanted here. He has a purpose- everyone does- he just has to find it.

  "Khlo...", I smiled to myself as Niall mumbled in his thick, morning Irish accent and squirmed, tightening his arms around me again. He looked up, blinking. He just stared at me, a slight upturn in the corner of his lips.

  "Morning.", I hummed, my voice a little hoarse. He smiled and mocked my words, his eyes never leaving mine.

  "Did you sleep okay?" He nodded his head, reminding me much of a little kid.

  I smiled as he lightly ran his fingers over my arm, creating small goosebumps. "You're a pretty comfortable pillow.", he smiled at me, his deep blue eyes sparking.

  I chuckled and he moved off of me so I was able to roll onto my side. We stared at each other for a couple minutes, just admiring one another.

  I don't understand how the guy that I've known for a week to be so heartless and self-centered could also be so lost and broken. I don't know what he went through as a child exactly, but I do know that what ever it was, made him like this- so closed and shut off.

  I needed to ask him though. Get him to open up to me a little more. I want to be there for him as a friend that he can turn to and trust, but he's got to learn to open up to me first.

  I sighed, knowing that this could go one of two ways, which honestly,  scared me shitless. Either he'd close back up again and everything would blow up in my face, or he would do the exact opposite and it would go smoothly.

  "What's on your mind?" He ran his fingers over my arm again, slightly warming it with his touch. Should I tell him? I mean, I want to. Hell, I've wanted to ask him this question that's been on my mind since last night when he started his rambling, but I don't want it all to come back and bite me in the ass.  Especially when we've had such a good morning. "Tell me.", he pushed softly,  his tone of voice almost soothing.