Surprise, But Not Really

"Hello, my beautiful man." Magnus rushed forward and gave Alec a simple peck on the lips as the shadowhunter walked inside.

"Hey," Alec broke into a smile. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, but we can talk later. We have got to get going now." Magnus grabbed a coat from the couch. He pulled it on, wrapped a bright blue scarf around Alec's neck, and pushed him back out the door.

"Where are we going?" Alec cocked an eyebrow at him.

"It's a surprise." Magnus whispered with a wink.

"Oh great," Alec's words oozed sarcasm. "You know how much I love surprises."

"I sure know my man." Magnus took Alec's hand and lead him down the stairs. "Also, I love you."

"Fine." Alec rolled his eyes. "We can go shopping."

"Excuse me, I didn't say shopping; I said surprise." Magnus gave him an innocent look.

"Yeah, and the last fifteen surprises have been you taking me shopping." Alec pointed out with a slight smile.

"True." Magnus chuckled. "But this time we're going grocery shopping!"

Magnus pulled away and wiggled his fingers in the form of "jazz hands". Alec shrugged. He did like food. They chatted about their days as they made their way to the market a couple of blocks away.

"Cart me!" Magnus clapped his hands and Alec blushed at the attention of the other patrons.

"Here." Alec pushed one to Magnus.

"If I sit in it will you push me around?" Magnus asked with a flutter of his eyelashes.

"I'll leave," Alec said with no laughter in his voice.

"I guess I'll walk behind it then." Magnus bit his lip. Was Alec always going to be so nervous and stiff?

"You better because it's my turn to sit in the cart. I never get to." Alec started laughing and jumped up with a grace that Magnus was shocked to see. Once Alec was in the cart he sat cross-legged and lifted his arm. "To the donuts!"

"Yes, sir!" Magnus felt happier than he had ever felt before. He truly was surprised that his heart didn't burst right out of his chest.

"Also, I want some Cheetos." Alec smiled brightly.

"But of course." Magnus pushed the cart towards the bakery.

"Just so you know I'm not sure I'll be able to get out of the cart," Alec admitted.

"But you got in so easily."

"I cheated." Alec pointed to a rune that was fading.

"Can't you draw it again?" Magnus laughed.

"I don't feel like it." Alec shrugged. "Oh, grab it! Fritter Me!"

Alec jolted towards the case of donuts so forcefully that the cart almost tipped. He screeched and a mother quickly tugged on her son's hand to get away from him. Alec blushed fiercely.

"By the angel, I'm sorry Magnus. You're probably so embarrassed." Alec cringed.

"Are you kidding me?" Magnus picked out two apple fritters. "I am loving this. Who cares about these mundanes? Aren't you the one who compares them to ants? What they think means less to me than I don't know."

"Less than Simon does to me? Actually, that would be like a negative count because he literally means nothing. I could hit him with my car and I would be merely upset that he got blood on my car." Alec said in a far too thoughtful voice.

"And that is why you don't have a car." Magnus filed that away to think about later. Maybe he should warn Simon. Nah, he'd probably be fine.

Alec was laughing uncontrollably. "Can you imagine it? He'd be like blah blah blah, harry potter, Spock, and Doctor Why went to the hobbit place to defeat the Huns and I'm like wack with my car. Then Dammit Simon, my poor car!"

"I think that's enough sugar for you." Magnus yanked the donut from Alec's mouth. "Also, it's Who?"

"What?" Alec pouted and reached for the donut weakly.

"No. Who." Magnus took a bite of the donut and smirked. "Doctor Who."

"Oh, so Doctor Who, Dumbledore, and Dean are friends?"

"Sure." Magnus fought back the urge to correct him.

"Oh and Sherlock? They fought the Cracken together or something." Alec smiled proudly. "See I know pop culture."

"Yes you do, darling." Magnus patted Alec's head and held back his laughter.

Question: What song are you hooked on right now?