3. Confusion Begins

Answer: When they use my name. I hate it! Especially when they want to sell or buy you something because they're trying to create a connection so you give them a good deal. It pisses me off! haha

"That guy's different." Jace said as he and Alec walked into their apartment a movie and two pizzas later.

"In a good way." Alec blushed.

"Are you going to ask him out?" Jace asked, knowing what the blush meant.

"Me? Ask him out?" Alec laughed loudly. "Yeah, right!"

"The worst thing that happens is he says no." Jace pointed out optimistically.

"And that my friend is why I'm the smart one in this relationship. There are far worse things than a simple no." Alec, the ever realistic pessimist responded as he pushed a box out of his way to get to the kitchen.

"This is fun. I like seeing this nervous version of you. On another note, the pizza girl was the total package." Jace plopped down on the couch and released a wistful sigh.

"She was a bitch." Alec turned on the faucet so he could get a drink.

"No, you were the bitch. She was hilarious and that red hair." Jace sank lower on the couch. "I think I'm in love!"

"I give it a week." Alec snickered.

"Give me more credit." Jace smacked Alec in the stomach.

"Hey!" Alec kicked him. And that started their all-out war. Jace grabbed Alec's leg and pulled so Alec lost his balance. "Shit."

Alec fell to the ground and Jace landed on top of him using one of the wrestling moves he used most. "Don't start something you can't finish Lightwood." Jace growled.

"You forget that I'm stronger than you." Alec shimmied out from under him and wrapped his arm around Jace's throat.

"Dammit, Alec. I'm supposed to be the strong one. Remember in first grade we decided that." Jace whined then tapped out.

"Things change brother." Alec smirked and stood up.

"Not really." Jace kicked Alec's feet out from under him and Alec landed on him. "Get off!" Jace complained. "You can't even fall right."

"Hey, ah, oh sorry." Magnus opened and closed the door quicker than Jace or Alec could react. Then there was a soft knock on the door.

"Alec, it's for you." Jace laid back relaxing on the floor as Alec struggled to get up off the floor.

"Hi." Alec smiled awkwardly when he opened the door. "Sorry about that."

"No, I'm sorry. I should have knocked." Magnus ran his fingers over the top of his Mohawk.

"You're fine really. We were just, well, yeah, never mind." Alec stopped himself because he knew saying that he was play fighting with his brother would sound ridiculous and childish. He was not going to be that; he was going to be a man.

"I get it. Anyway, you left your phone." Magnus held the cell phone out.

"Of course I did." Alec rolled his eyes at himself. "I tend to lose it all the time."

"Yeah, remember that time you lost and then we found it three days later in my pillowcase." Jace laughed from where he was still relaxed on the floor.

Alec glared at Jace. "That's because you hid it there while I was sleeping."

"Yeah, but you still thought you lost it so it counts."

"Well, I'll leave you to whatever you were doing," Magnus said holding his hand out further. This was going nowhere near what he had expected. He had planned it all in his mind. He was going to hand Alec his phone, tell him that his number was in it, and then they'd start texting. Instead, he had interrupted what looked like foreplay. "Didn't you say you were brothers?"

"Yeah, well adoptive brothers. We really aren't I mean it's not even official. Jace's family life wasn't great so he was over at our house so much he had his room already so then he just sort of never left." Alec shrugged.

"Thank you, Alec. I love strangers knowing all about me." Jace groaned and threw a pillow at Alec.

Alec caught the pillow and chucked it back. "Idiot. He's not a stranger."

"Yeah, but he is gone." Jace pointed out.

Alec frowned and saw his phone sitting on the window sill. "Way to go. You scared him away."

"Or you did." Jace cocked an eyebrow at him then looked guilty. "Want me to go apologize?"

"No. It's fine." Alec's frown deepened.

"Alec, go talk to him. I'll start unpacking." Jace offered because he did feel guilty about the situation.

"Fine." Alec walked to the apartment next door and knocked.

"It's open," Magnus called.

"Ah, hey." Alec opened the door and fidgeted with the sleeve of his sweater that at one point had been black rather than greyish green.

"Hey." Magnus smiled but it didn't seem to reach his eyes.

"I'm sorry about Jace. He sometimes forgets that there are socially agreed upon rules for how we should act around people." Alec looked down at his scuffed boots.

"It's fine. I just have a lot to do and I'm sure you two do too." Magnus said without looking away from the TV screen.

Alec looked at it too then walked inside. "Hey, I thought we were watching these together."

"Did you still want to?"

"Hell yes." Alec kicked the door closed and plopped down next to Magnus. He lied to himself and said that it was so he could see the TV better, but really he just liked the closeness.

"Won't Jace mind?" Magnus asked as Alec kicked his shoes off and got more comfortable.

"About us watching a movie?" Alec didn't get why that would matter. "No."

"Cool." Magnus had wanted to date Alec, but he could be okay with having a new friend for now and maybe he and Jace would break up. He was just happy that Jace wasn't a jealous boyfriend.

"Do you have popcorn?" Alec asked.

"No, sorry."

"I'll go grab some. Be right back." Alec jumped up. "Tell me everything I miss."

"I can pause it." Magnus offered.

"No, this is more exciting," Alec said as he smacked his arm against the door. "And painful."

"I think you need one of those inflatable hamster balls to live in." Magnus chuckled. Yeah, they could be just friends. He could do that, for now.

"I've tried. Remind me sometime to tell you the story about how I broke my arm and dislocated my thumb."

"How are you still alive?"

"I have no idea." Alec smiled and took off towards his room where he had a stash of snacks. 

@Thatonegirlfromoz I thought you'd appreciate the hamster ball comment. hahaha

Question: Sherlock movie, book, or TV show?