Movies

Alec stared at his phone as if it had sprouted wings and horns. He turned it over in his hand and saw the light on the screen blinking, showing that he had a message. He should just click the button and read the message. Alec pressed his finger down and instantly chucked his phone across the room. It hit his bed with a bounce before falling to the floor and skidding.

"Just pick it up and read it." He chided himself. "The worst that happens is he says no."

He laughed sarcastically. "Or he tells me he hates me, never wants to see me again, and admits that he was only doing this as a prank to hurt a stupid shadowhunter."

"Stop being so pessimistic and morbid," Alec told himself and walked to his phone. He reached down to pick it up right when it started to ring. "Shit." He exclaimed when he saw the name.

"Hello?" He winced as he dropped his phone. "Dammit."

"Alexander?" Magnus's voice carried from the phone that was on the floor again. "Hello?"

"Uh, hey, sorry," Alec said once he had the phone against his face again.

"Are you okay?" Magnus asked him with a sense of humor in his voice.

"Yeah, just dropped my phone," Alec admitted.

"You didn't respond so I thought I'd just call," Magnus said completely at ease. "And I love hearing your voice of course so I prefer to call anyway." Alec could imagine Magnus at that moment standing with a colorful drink in his hand, his phone held by his shoulder, and Chairmen Meow purring in his other arm.

"Yeah, sorry. I was just about to." Alec blushed.

"Wonderful. When's the movie?" Magnus asked him.

"At 7:00." Alec offered up after thinking for a second.

"That's in twenty minutes." Magnus pointed out.

"Yeah, I know, sorry it's short notice. I understand that you can't go." Alec rattled off trying to keep his heart from sinking.

"Not at all. Alexander, come outside." Magnus said as there was a wooshing sound. "I can portal us there."

"You don't have to." Alec felt guilty. He never wanted Magnus to think that he was just using him.

"I want to," Magnus said and Alec could hear his smile. "I get to hold onto you."

Alec didn't know what to say to that so instead, he grabbed his stele and wallet. "I'll be right down."

"See you soon." Magnus hung up. Magnus wondered how long it would take for Alec to stop acting as if Magnus was going to leave him at the drop of a hat. They had been dating for months and yet every date was like one of their first. In a way, it was refreshing because it made every time special, but he couldn't wait for the comfortable stage.

"Hey," Alec smiled brightly and then blushed. He stumbled a bit on the last step and Magnus grabbed his arms to steady him. Alec laughed and Magnus thought it sounded like heaven itself had opened up. Magnus kissed Alec on the lips quickly and then pulled back.

"You look wonderful," Magnus said even though Alec's sweater had a couple of holes by the neck and it was more of a greenish-grey color than the original black. And his black pants looked like the ones that girls spent hundreds of dollars on, but he knew that they were just well loved. Magnus loved clothes but with Alec, he just loved his blue eyes and bright smile, his sarcastic eyebrow lift and watchful demeanor. He was beautiful.

"You look great." Alec reached out and touched the sparkling necklace around Magnus's neck. It lay against a maroon tunic. Alec could never wear something like that, hell, no one should look good and masculine in that, but Magnus did.

"Ready for the movie?" Magnus asked him and released Alec's arms to create a portal.

"Yes." Alec took Magnus's hand as soon as the portal was ready. "Or we could just go to your place."

"You know I would love that, but a movie would be fun." Magnus winked. "And we'll definitely be going to my place after."

"Deal." Alec gave Magnus's hand a squeeze and then they were at the theater.

"What movie are we going to see?" Magnus asked Alec as they walked over to the line for tickets.

"Oh, I don't even know what's playing." Alec shrugged. "I've never really taken time to go to the movies."

Magnus would have laughed but Alec was just too sweet. Clearly, the shadowhunter didn't realize that you couldn't just show up at a theater and pick the movie, well you could, but it worked much better if you picked a movie and then the time. Magnus scanned the movies and their times. The soonest movie was Five Feet Apart. He knew that it was a teen romance movie and probably the last thing Alec would have chosen, even Magnus wouldn't necessarily choose it.

"How about Five Feet Apart?" Alec asked him.

"Perfect," Magnus said just as they got to the front of the line. "Two for Five Feet Apart."

Alec pulled out his wallet but Magnus waved him off. "You picked and I pay." Magnus declared.

"Are you sure?" Alec asked him.

"Of course. Never trust a frugal warlock." Magnus smirked and took the tickets.

"Thank you." Alec blushed a tiny bit and took Magnus's hand when they bumped. He let Magnus lead the way to the concession stand.

"What candy should we get?" Magnus asked hungrily.

"You can pick." Alec offered.

Magnus picked out a couple of different candies, a large popcorn, and a drink to share. Alec went pale when he heard the total. They might as well have gone to a steak house for dinner with those prices. Alec was going to say something but Magnus didn't seem bothered at all about the price. He simply paid and handed Alec the candy.

As they walked Magnus used his tongue to pick up a piece of buttery popcorn. "The best part about movie theaters, the popcorn."

"You can have popcorn at home can't you?" Alec asked him, slightly confused.

"Not like this." Magnus scooped another piece up with his tongue. "Well, I could but it's not the same. It's always so much better at the theater."

"Now I've got to know." Alec reached forward and grabbed a couple of pieces. He had to hold back a moan. "You're right. It's delicious."

"I always am." Magnus joked. "Here's our theater." He pointed with the drink to a door."

"I got it." Alec opened the door and let Magnus lead the way. Alec followed Magnus to their seats. The seats were black and soft. They sat down and Magnus put the dink in the cup holder between them.

Alec leaned over to steal a couple more pieces of popcorn when there was a machine like sound and his feet shot up. He yelped, which was thankfully covered by the sound coming from the trailer on the screen. Magnus chuckled. "Alexander, you are adorable."

"I didn't realize it reclined." Alec was beyond embarrassed.

"And here I thought you yelped because you were just excited to be here with me." Magnus teased. "There's a button on the side by your hip."

"Got it," Alec said after feeling the side for it. "My stele hit it."

"Your stele?" Magnus wiggled his eyebrows.

"Yeah. I always have it on me." Alec said with a serious look, clearly missing Magnus's joke.

Question: Favorite movie that you've seen recently?