The Monument

Rays of sunlight beat down on the busy town. Dew ran down the blades of grass as the wind babbled secrets from kingdoms afar.

As usual, Cappy Town was lively with people. It wasn't uncommon for them to be so active, and it was scarcely ever that the streets were barren. Usually, all the children would play in the fields with either a football or jump ropes, however something on that particular day caught their attention.

"What..is it even?" Tuff inquired.

His sister, Tiff, rolled her eyes at his ignorance and let him figure it out by himself.

Becca, Maddie and Mayor Blustergas were all wearing builder's hats and working on what looked to be a large, marble cylinder. A few pieces of scaffolding surrounded it and it did draw in the attention of the Townsfolk.

The three were working on the part of the cliff closest to the waters, getting a great view of the sapphire waves that swirled in the morning breeze. Maddie held a blue sheet of paper with white markings, which with a closer inspection could be shown to be annotations of a drawing.

Tiff, Tuff, Spikehead, Iroo and Honey all approached the trio at work and asked for more information.

Wiping the sweat from her forehead, Becca got her white locks out of her face before answering,"Well kiddos, we're making a special statue. It's called a 'war monument' and it celebrates everything the Star Warriors have done for us. After all, they did help you to defeat NME and stop the monster income Dedede was getting."

Inspecting the sheet closer, Tiff could tell that she was telling the truth; there was many names marked on the plaque in the sketch that had the names of Star Warriors they had heard of from Meta Knight.

"Garlude? Jecra? Who are they?" Honey asked, confused with the strangers' names marked down.

With a slight giggle, Maddie pointed to the names and told her,"Remember Sirica and Knuckle Joe? Jecra is Knuckle Joe's father and Garlude is Sirica's mother."

It was then that Honey understood it all. While the others were speaking, Becca came to a point of realization,"Wait, didn't Cappy Town have that phase where they were collecting those mini figures from those chocolates that Tuggle and Gengu sold?" She asked them.

Iroo, Spikehead, Honey and Tuff all nodded. Tiff was confused as to where she was taking this,"What do you mean by that? They were only dumb karate fighters, nothing too exciting."

"No, that was the second wave, the first wave (if I am correct) were Star Warriors. The only reason Dedede made a second wave was because he was upset that he didn't get a Meta Knight figurine." Becca explained,"Speaking of, did you know the other characters were Star Warriors. I'm not kidding, they were actual Star Warriors I'm in contact with."

The kids gave a gasp at her words,"Woah, really? Can we meet them??" Spikehead shrieked, over-exciting herself.

Subtly, Becca shook her head. "They're probably very busy right now. However, when the monument is done we'd be more than happy to show it to them. Then you can meet them."

Len Flustergas gave a shout from behind them. The two girls had gotten so engaged in a conversation that they'd forgotten about their work. "I'm sorry for being rude and interrupting you, but I can't do this all on my own!" He yelled over to them.

Clicking her fingers Maddie grinned,"Speaking of the monument, if we don't get to work then it'll take forever. So.."

Carefully, Maddie pulled a fiver out of the back pocket of her jean shorts and handed it to Tiff.

"..run along and go play. Have a great time, kiddos."

With a noticeable wink, she bade them goodbye as Becca gave a low chuckle. "Ah, Maddie, never change."

The group of kids immediately ran to Tuggle's store to buy some confectionery. Tiff insisted they didn't but Tuff claimed that she'd been outvoted.

Of course, they ended up arguing over it as that was what they seemed to do day in day out. Their bickering was amusing to others who passed by who could only laugh and go,"Thank Nova I don't have siblings."

When they finally settled on a choice, that choice was they all had a dollar each. It was coincidental but convenient that there were exactly 5 dollars and 5 of them, but nobody noticed until then.

******

"Finally!! It's done and it only took us until lunch time! Hooray for that!" Maddie cheered.

"Good work, girls, I think the monument looks rather stunning." Len praised.

All of them were nonetheless proud of their efforts and we're glad it was finally done.

"I wanna go show it to Meta Knight. I'm sure he'll appreciate the effort and thought." Becca smiled, walking backwards slowly, going the direction of the Castle.

In the Castle wasn't half as pleasant as the outside. That day, Dedede was going off on one and nobody wanted to be around to see the end product.

When Becca found Meta Knight, she saw he was patrolling the opposite side of the castle to avoid contact with the mardy King and his atrocious tantrum taking place.

They greeted one another warmly and Becca lead him to the monument that she wanted to show him. "Behold! The new monument that we spent about 7 hours building! It's made in memory of the Star Warriors who lost their lives in the war and marks the years that it started and ended." She beamed.

The swordsman was wordless for a minute before lowing his head. Still, he was silent.

"A-Are you okay, Meta?" Maddie questioned,"If you don't like it we can always take it down and try again, despite it taking many long hours to make."

"No, it was very thoughtful of you to make this for us and I'm very thankful for it." Meta Knight told them,"I just didn't know the right words to use to describe how much gratitude I have."

"No, this is to show our gratitude and appreciation for the Star Warrior/ Galaxy Soldiers who sacrificed their time, life and everything just so we can be alive today." Becca smiled.

Mayor Len decided to speak up,"That is true. It was their idea to make it and I thought it would certainly be a great addition to our town."

For a minute, the four of them admired the monument before a loud shout disrupted the peace.