Saffron

The monarch gave an irritated groan as he trudged towards his castle with low spirits. He'd been acting strange for the past few days, and not even he knew why. All he knew was that he was driven.

His fingers rolled into a tight fist, and it shook violently at his waist. Hurling said fist into a tree, he clenched his teeth in rage. These outbursts were unpredictable and unexpected, like a mood swing per say.

With his workout routine pushing him to his limits, it made him unbelievably strong. Toppling over, the tree made it evident he was actually doing the workouts.

A quiet shriek came from behind, and Dedede hear someone scamper away. Loudly, he yelled,"Hey! Whose there? Come out ya coward!"

A slight giggle followed his loud booming voice, a giggle from the depths of the forest. It sounded shy and rather uncalled for, as there wasn't anything to laugh about. Unless they found Dedede's attempt of being intimidating funny.

"Y-You forgot me? Dedede, we were friends..!" Her voice whispered, sounding closer with every syllable spoken.

A worried expression filled his face, who were they? Was it Stella back for revenge? What did they want? What were their intentions?

Suddenly, he felt a weight on his shoulders and someone's arms wrap around his neck. The stranger brought a kind scent of tulips and daffodils with her.

Her skin felt so soft against his bare neck, but he still couldn't tell who it was.

For some odd reason, she was almost weightless stood in his shoulders. In fact, his shoulders were more relaxed with her stood on them. The flash of pastel reminded him of who he had encountered on Hotbeat.

"S..Sally, right?" Dedede nervously chuckled.

"Close." Saffron snickered,"It's Saffron, not Sally, silly!"

Everything about her was so memorable yet unfamiliar. "What would a guy like you be doing in the woods? Going for a..walk?" She asked him, walking her index and middle finger along his shoulder gently,"Don't remember you being so in touch with your softer side."

"Well, I don't remember you being so timid, you were speaking fluent French last time I was there!" Dedede shot back, thinking she were insulting him.

She replied with an entertained tone,"Ah, it was a joke. And it was Spanish, not french. Anyway, how's it been, you look like you've been living large."

Groaning, Dedede told her to get off of his shoulders, to which she cooperated with.

She did a front flip on the way down and landed with a bow right before him. Her mask fell at her feet and she covered her face with her gloved hands. Both of them leaned down for the mask at the same time, and she ended up backing away slightly because they were too close.

When he handed her the mask, he captured a glimpse of her flushed cherry face. She had pink rose lips and coloured cheeks accompanied by a shadow casted over half her face. A large region of her fringe covered the left side of her face, making Dedede somewhat disappointed.

Taking the mask out of his hands, she placed it back on and made a mental note to find a better strap. Now she had her confidence back and she could do more.

"A thank you wouldn't be overlooked, y'know?" Dedede complained.

"Ah, sorry. Thanks, Dedede." Saffron politely thanked after his impolite reminder.

She turned her eyes to the castle in the distance,"You..live there..?"

The ruler gave a proud nod, paired with a grand grin,"I certainly do. As King, I get only the best in life because I deserve it!"

"Except for loyal servants and close friends, apparently." Saffron chuckled,"I don't forget our meeting on Hotbeat; I don't think I ever will."

Dedede tried to understand the joke but couldn't. Eventually, he gave in and ask for her to explain it to him.

"Oh, because you were all alone? D'you get it now, Dedede?"

He nodded his head despite still not understanding it at all.

They continued on towards the castle, discussing things that they had in common.