Chapter One - Part 1

Arachnia                              

by  sloanranger

Chapter  One    -    Part  1

Elaine slid the small plastic container of dry coffee grounds into her little Gevalia coffee maker and poured water into the top receptacle. Replacing the glass pot she pushed the button on the coffeemaker and reached for the button on her dishwasher at the same time.

She was religious about running the dishwasher ever since it had broken last year. Every Monday morning she got up and after she put the coffee on, ran the dishwasher.  Full or not - empty or not, she always ran the dishwasher once a week.

"It froze up, lady," the repairman had told her when he came and looked at it. "You got to use 'em once in a while or they'll do that on you."

It didn't bother her much, Elaine much preferred washing dishes by hand; she found it relaxing.

But Steve, when he got home later - disbelieving, had called the repairman back.

"Are you trying to tell me she broke it by not using it?"

"That's right, mister. I can replace the motor but that's going to cost you $400. A new machine is $500."

They had gotten the new dishwasher.

Pouring her coffee, she looked out the kitchen window at the feeder Steve had put in the bottlebrush tree to attract humming birds. The little birds came every morning now. They put on quite a show and Elaine had finally stopped complaining about having to clean the bird feeder.

The phone rang. Elaine suspected it was her mother, no one else called her this early. But it wasn't her Mom. It was her friend Cassie.

"What's up, Cass?  No, I haven't looked at it yet."

(To be continued).