Chapter Twenty Six - Part 3

Chapter Twenty Six                 

by sloanranger

Part 3

"Is she really your sister, Cass?"

"Yes, Elaine, she is. It's something I've spent years trying to forget,  but, yes -  she is my sister."

Elaine decided no matter what had happened she owed it to Cassie to understand her side of it. They had been friends for over nine years.

"Cass, I think I can understand how you felt, having to be raised apart from your mother.  Then later, your Uncle dying and your Mom, too and all the stuff that happened afterward. It must have been horrible."

Cassie looked up, tears in her eyes.  "It wasn't me that went to Aunt Lana's house, Elaine - not when we were little, at least - it was Paula."

Cass was weeping silently, turning her head so the nurse wouldn't notice. "And no, it's her. She's horrible, Elaine - but she's my sister."

"You mean taking your boyfriend? Was that what started this, the animosity over your boyfriend – Bill, whatever his name was?"

"It goes back much farther than that," Cassie said. "Even when she was little... there's something wrong with her, Elaine. She tried to kill me when we were just kids – more than once, too."

"Oh, Cassie. I know about sibling rivalry and all that but..."

"Listen to me, Elaine. She hit me over the head with a rock once when we were seven and a hammer another time when we were nine." Cassie threw her head down and parted her hair near the crown, showing a good sized, three inch scar. She moved her fingers over several inches to reveal another one where obvious stitches had been taken.

"My Lord!"

(To be continued).