Chapter Twenty Three - Part 2

by sloanranger

Part 2

Elaine thought: figured out they were sisters; or was she talking about something far worse – Paula's accusations?

"She said you were sisters," Elaine said, softly. "But I guess you didn't get along."

Cassie laughed, the laughter sounding a little hysterical.

"Get along," she said, "get along? You don't know the half of it, Elaine. She stole the only person I ever loved. My mother died and Paula ran off and married Billy's father."

"Billy's father?" Elaine was trying very hard to keep an open mind but she was deeply unsettled by the way Cass looked.

"Yes - Bill. It was a horrible time, but I had Bill and I thought everything would be all right. He and I would get married and you know, live happily ever after. And Then when I found out about ... about the baby," Cassie turned away then, her sentence unfinished.

"Oh, Cassie," Elaine said. She wanted to ask her if Billy was her child or Paula's but she looked so fragile.

"'Oh, Cassie,' is right. Instead of living happily ever after..." Cassie stopped mid-sentence.

Elaine couldn't keep quiet. "What did you do?"

"Oh, well, I missed graduation by 3 months, but I got my GED – fast. Then...my first nursing license and...and then Billy and I got out."

Elaine was saddened but at the same time confused by all these new revelations.

Cassie had been staring into the pool as she spoke, but looked up as if suddenly realizing something. "You're the only one who knows that I was..." she halted and cleared her throat.

"What?" Elaine said.

"That I was unmarried when I had Billy."

(To be continued).