Chapter Twenty One - Part 2

Chapter Twenty One                             

by sloanranger

Part 2

Elaine wasn't much of a reader herself except for Mike Connelly or Sue Grafton mysteries. She wondered if Paula had read any of the books or if they were just for show. There were vases and a liberal sprinkling of plants on the bookcase, as well.

She meandered further into the alcove and could not help but notice that Paula's library had a large variety of books: archeology, classics, decorating, history, and medicine. Paula led Elaine back into the living room.

"Please, sit down," Paula said, directing her to the living room.

"Thank you." She took a seat in one of the two Queen Ann chairs offered her. "Your house is lovely," she remarked.

Between the Queen Annes was a small occasional table of white. The three graces formed the pedestal and they held up a marble circle that was used as a  tabletop. The sofa looked as if it had been commissioned, not bought off a showroom floor. It was covered in velvet with varying shades of a brown and teal paisley, the predominant color scheme of the room.

It was lovely- a lot of brown - but Paula had made it work.

As she looked around, Elaine noted again the pictures on the mantle.

"Are the photos of your children?" 

"Yes, and family."

"The dark pile, " Elaine said, making a gesture at the carpet. "It must be hard to keep clean with the kids. Does it show a lot of lint?"

"Yes, but it's worth it for the brown." Paula replied.

(To be continued).