Chapter Six - Part 2

Chapter   Six        

by  sloanranger

Part   2

"Imagine surviving the other stuff and then the hospital gets you." Elaine shook her head.

"Like I said," Cassie reiterated. "It does happen – but not often twice to the same family. I wonder what happened with the first one. Does she ever talk about it?"

"Not to me," Elaine answered and waved the waiter over. He brought two more drinks and took the empty glasses.

"Does she have any female friends besides Marie?" Cassie said, when the waiter was out of earshot.

"Not that I'm aware of."

Activity by the pool caused them both to look up at the group. Paula was standing now, detaching a yellow skirt from her waist and laying it on the chair. Wearing nothing underneath but a matching yellow bathing suit and a smooth, dark tan, she was stunning. She took her lithe figure over to the edge of the pool and dove cleanly into the water.

This clearly created a dilemma for the swarm of men, most of whom were not dressed for swimming. The two men who were in trunks almost knocked themselves over jumping in after her.

Elaine and Cassie shook their heads. Cassie finally said, "You'd think three kids might scare them off even if the dead husbands didn't."

"Three?" Elaine said.

"Sorry, I meant two - twins right?" Cassie amended. "But she doesn't look like she's old enough even to have kids."

"Umm," Elaine agreed. "I wonder if we could find out from Marie how the first husband died?" Elaine pondered.

"She's in my water aerobics class," Cassie offered. "I could try."

(To be continued).