Chapter Twenty Seven - Part 2

by sloanranger

Part 2

Elaine made a funny face. "What?" Steve said.

"Well..." Elaine responded.

"What?" Steve said again, louder.

"It's just that after talking to her the other day at the hospital, I don't know...."

"Don't know what?" Steve said, becoming irritated.

"I just don't know what to believe, Steve."

"Maybe I shouldn't tell you the rest then," he replied.

"What?" Elaine said, but Steve said nothing. 

"Tell me," she said.

"Tom's made an agreement with Paula," he said. "Provided Billy wants to, he can spend two week ends a month with his 'real' mother."

"What?"

"So they can get to know one another."

"Oh, no, Steve. What's Billy think about all this?"

"Well, you know kids that age. He's not very talkative but he's agreed to it for now; he told Tom he'd give it a try.

"Is Tom going to tell Cass about it?" Elaine said.

"I really don't know. I asked him if he's still thinking about a divorce and he just clams up. I did find out during one conversation that the state may require Cass to have some kind of a conservator if they do divorce."

Elaine suddenly felt profoundly depressed – maybe even more than Cassie. Elaine was likely more informed about what was going on than her friend who was still hospitalized and kept in the dark.

But the thing with Elaine was, Cassie had been her best friend for almost ten years and no matter what she had done or what her real name was - Elaine still cared about what happened to her.

(To be continued).