Chapter Twenty One - Part 7

Chapter Twenty One

by sloanranger

Part 7

It was a miracle then that we ever crossed paths. It wasn't long after my miscarriage. I wasn't feeling well so I came late one night. I was sitting by David's bed when a nurse started to come into the room. When she saw me she acted like she'd forgotten something and just turned around and walked out."

"You recognized her?" Elaine said.

"Not at first. But then, the way she moved, the shape of her head, a dozen tiny things that didn't register consciously, all of a sudden hit me and I knew - I knew. I asked David what the name of his nurse was and he wasn't sure but said he thought it was Cassie. She... that - was the last thing David and I ever talked about. Elizabeth - Cassie - was his night nurse."

"He died?"

"They said it happened the next morning; an allergic reaction of some kind."

"How awful," Elaine said.

Paula nodded. "And I know you'll think it's crazy, but I had this feeling."

She looked away then, for a moment, and got up and walked to the other side of the couch, straightening something on the side table.

"I knew it was her; I knew she had done it. After I started thinking about it, I realized she probably killed Bill, too." She said it almost matter-of-factly.

"Billy's father?" Elaine said, horrified.

(To be continued).