Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two           

by sloanranger              

That night she wanted desperately to tell her husband about what had happened but she was afraid Steve would become irritated with her. He had warned her to mind her own business and let Cass reveal anything she wanted to in her own good time.

The Cassie Paula talked about sounded like a completely different person than the woman Elaine had been friends with for nine years.  Paula had described someone that Elaine didn't know. And not just a part of her friend's life she hadn't known about – but things she would never have dreamed her friend capable of.

"Hold me," she whispered to Steve, squeezing his shoulder.

He enfolded her and she laid her head on his chest. Lying there he could sense her disquiet as he held her.

"What's up sweety," he said.  Then he bent his head and kissed the top of hers: "Having trouble Sherlock?"

"You were right, I am nosey and I'm sorry I started this whole mess."

"I told you," he said softly and smiled. Putting a finger beneath her chin he tilted her face up, kissing the tip of her nose. Then he kissed her brow and cheeks and before long he felt her urgency.

Soon enough the urgency was reciprocated .

Their union was slow and gentle - quiet, no fireworks or lightning  - just sweet and comforting. They held one another for a long time afterwards; Steve fell asleep with his face cradled into Elaine's neck and his mouth pressing into her hair. But Elaine got no sleep at all that night. 

(To be continued).