Chapter Eighteen - Part 2

Chapter  Eighteen             

Part 2

by sloanranger

How could someone forget the age she was when so many things happened to her, especially her mother's death? Elaine reached for her purse and pulled the crumpled print-outs she 'd saved from the middle school in Texas.  She looked at the class of 1994, again. Yes, it was Cassie, all right.

Scanning over the children, she noticed something she had missed before. There was another girl, a pretty, dark haired little pre-teen with long hair and pixie eyes. Good lord, she started, it was Paula. She looked down at the row of names and yes, there it was, the name - Paula. The last name under the picture of the little girl was, Blaine. They went to school together ?!!

Completely flummoxed, Elaine had thought she couldn't feel much worse but now she was more than a little angry, as well. When Cass came back with the ibuprofen, she confronted her.

"You never told me you knew Paula before - that you went to school with her."

Cassie hesitated, then said only: "No, I don't suppose I did."

"Is there a reason, Cass?"

Cassie looked down into her lap. "We just didn't get along," she said, quietly. "Don't ask me about it Elaine, please."                

"But how could you not tell me, Cass? In all the years we've known each other, how could you not tell me?"

After an awkward silence, Elaine stood, retrieved her purse and said to her friend:

"I've got to fix dinner. I can stop by tomorrow and we can talk later, if you feel like it. Okay?" And then Elaine added quietly: "I was only trying to help, Cassie."

(To be continued).