Chapter Twenty - Part 1

Chapter Twenty

by sloananger

Part 1

Elaine didn't really have any plan; maybe just to talk to Marie and find out anything she could about Paula. She was not going to say anything to Cassie and further upset her friend before she knew what was going on. That night at water aerobics, thankfully - Marie showed up.

Cassie had been right about Marie. She was a friendly, seemingly uncomplicated little thing, more than willing to talk about anybody or anything. Mostly though, she talked of things that she had already shared with Cassie or things that Elaine already knew about. But after class in the showers, Marie dropped a profitable bit of news:

"You know it's funny you're thinking about joining, Elaine," Marie said. "Paula's thinking about taking the classes too."

"Really?" Elaine replied.

"Yep, she's going to use one of those coupons to check out the class tomorrow night."

Drat! One night off, Elaine thought.

Cassie became quiet after the announcement.

When they were dressed and leaving, Elaine told Cass she wanted to ask about a membership and stopped at the counter to talk to the girl. But try as she might she could not talk her into giving her another coupon. The girl told Elaine she would have to speak to one of the managers and Elaine asked Cassie if she would wait for her in the car.

Another woman appeared that was her own age and took her into a side room. Elaine ended up having to buy a six-month membership. Steve wouldn't mind of course but it was an unexpected expense.

(To be continued).