Chapter Three - Part 1

Chapter Three                        

by sloanranger

Part 1

"Are you hungry?" Cassie asked. "My treat, you got the movies."

"Maybe a taco; I don't know when I'll get to eat. Steve's been working late - some big account."

"A taco's not going to do it then. How about an enchilada or a chili relleno?"

"Talked me into it," Elaine said, smiling, "Thanks."

After the women ordered, Elaine asked her friend if she liked the films. Cassie, looking out the window, didn't answer right away. It was a usual day for southern California, sunny and mild.

"I don't know, she said finally. "It seemed like the newer film had more of a villainess."

"You mean because she murdered more men?" Elaine asked.

"That, and the fact that she planned all of them."

"And Bette didn't?"

"Not till the end," Cassie said. "And Bette had more of a reason."

"I thought you didn't like Bette Davis." Elaine said.

"It's not that I don't like her, it's just her films don't do much for me."

"How can you say that?  How many have you seen?" Elaine defended.

"Counting this one, three, I think."

"Oh, Cass, that's not fair, the woman made over a hundred, easily. But you liked this one?"

"I didn't say I liked this one," Cass said. "I thought you were asking me about which film had more of a villainess. And I said Bette had more of a reason to kill her husband, making Teresa Russell more of a villainess.

Elaine said, "Both movies were about money in the long run. Theresa Russell's character was just more proficient at the killing."

"The character in Black Widow was mostly about money, Elaine, but she could have stayed married to any of those men. They were all wealthy and they probably would have died before her in any case.

"No doubt she had some serious issues with males," Elaine said, grinning as the server placed the Chile Relleno Combo in front of her. Cassie had the Tamale Plate.

(To be continued).