Chapter Twelve - Part 2

Chapter  Twelve                

by sloanranger

Part 2

Elaine drove to Laguana Beach the next day. She liked the area except during the tourist season.  She especially enjoyed the town's many art galleries and quaint cafes.

Like almost everywhere else in southern California, the area was studded with lots of low, pastel, stucco-boxed homes.

These were slightly more upscale, some with the original terra cotta, red-clay tiled roofs.

In front of the little shops lining the street, were redwood boxes filled with brightly colored flowers: scarlet bougainvilleas and arrays of brilliant zinnias. Night-blooming jasmine, deep green with their tiny, white perfumed blossoms climbed the wooden posts that held the awnings up in front of the shops.

Elaine hadn't had breakfast so she decided to visit one of the cafes and treat herself to brunch before looking at the stores.

She had picked a table by the window and was about to sit down, when she saw a familiar face at a booth in the corner. It was Paula and she appeared to be alone. Deciding to bite the bullet, she screwed up her courage and walked over to say hello.

"Hi," she said. "Paula, right?"

Paula had been looking for something in her purse and was caught unawares.

"Oh. Yes," she looked up and smiled. "Right."

"I'm Elaine May. We met some time ago at the club?"

"Yes, of course," Paula said. Elaine could tell she was nervous, looking outside the window.

"Won't you sit down, " Paula continued, all politeness. "I was just finishing but I'm about to order coffee.  Please." She indicated the seat across from her.

Judging from the amount of dishware on the table, either she was a very big eater  - or someone had accompanied her, Elaine thought.

"Are you sure?" Elaine said, looking pointedly at the dishes.

"Yes, my friend is gone," she smiled.

Elaine didn't argue, she sat down.

(To be continued).